• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Having Hermit Crabs led me down this path.

ALD

3 Year Member
Hear me out.

I have has Hermit Crabs since 2002 seriously. Of course as a kid I had a few but I learned as an adult the care for these creatures is awful. They can live so many years and people sell them as throw away pets at boardwalks, malls and carnivals.
I got into learning all about proper care. They require heat source, high humidity (They breathe through gills) and should not spend time outside of enclosure. So they SHOULD be a hands off pet. They needs salt and fresh water, eco earth and playsand substrate and can eat a variety of foods.
They have pinchers that can hurt so bad if they get you, and they have funny little faces and hairy legs.
They also molt to grow. That is why they change shells. With every molt they get bigger.
Molting is a sensitive time. They will burrow and must be left alone.
Do you see it?
Coming from having all kinds of animals that don't require this care- but then learning about the care of these creatures and doing it properly- and coming to find their little eye stalks and grabby hairly legs cute, well- I think that is why I have been drawn to Tarantulas. I was not turned off by the hands off aspect, the molting, the hairy legs lol. I see them as adorable and I respect a creature that just wants it's space to do it's thing.
Hermit Crabs I believe led me here.
That is my tale.

What made you get into Tarantulas?

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
Exactly what I tell my sister, she got my niece and nephews hermit crabs and is learning how to take care of them properly, every time I see her, she updates me on how they're doing and what all she's learned, and I'll explain to her how they are similar to my Ts. I try to talk her into getting a T of her own but she won't budge though lol maybe one day I'll talk her into one.

As for what got me into Ts, I've always had a soft spot for animals, especially reptiles. My mom got my older brother and I a couple of leopard geckos when I was 7 years old and ever since I've been fascinated. I didn't get into tarantulas till I was 20, at that point we had a good size exotic collection and wanted to add something different, I mentioned getting a tarantula and my family lost it. Don't get me wrong, I actually didn't like spiders at that point either, but found it funny we had massive snakes but they're scared of a spider, really??? So I got a rose hair at a small pet shop, just to mess with my nephew. After keeping her for awhile I feel in love, and that expanded into having 30+. now have more Ts then any other animal I keep. I still love reptiles but Ts opened my eyes to a whole other hobby and honestly couldn't imagine not having them.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Here's my hermit crab...:D
20170415_164757.jpg

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I had a few hermit crabs when I was a kid. It was always tricky keeping the salt water dish from messing up the fresh water dish etc.

They are social animals. When one dies off, the others follow quickly. In my opinion now, they shouldn't really be kept. Ts adapt better to captivity and can breed in captivity in many cases.

I might be wrong but don't hermit crabs have a free swimming larva stage that is freely swimming in marine water?

ALD

3 Year Member
I had a few hermit crabs when I was a kid. It was always tricky keeping the salt water dish from messing up the fresh water dish etc.

They are social animals. When one dies off, the others follow quickly. In my opinion now, they shouldn't really be kept. Ts adapt better to captivity and can breed in captivity in many cases.

I might be wrong but don't hermit crabs have a free swimming larva stage that is freely swimming in marine water?
They do!
As far as I am aware they are all wild caught.

ALD

3 Year Member
That does raise some ethical concerns in my opinion.
Indeed. All of mine are "rescues" purchased by people who got bored of them and did not want after the novelty wore off. I won't go into the specifics unless you would like me to- but yes the journey of the hermit crab to the pet store is a sad one in my opinion.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
A jumping spider that lived in my kitchen got me into tarantulas. I used to hand feed it moths from my porch light. Then I started watching youtube videos and bought one. After that I started absorbing anything invertebrate related. Ive gained an appreciation for the little guys. I try not to disturb bugs now, and put them out the door instead of killing them like I used to (like most people do). Except Phiddipus audax, those get to stay inside. They're my homies. If I see a spider on my windshield I stop and put him on the ground, or a wall, rather than risk him falling off the truck at speed. I get odd looks sometimes.:D

Latest posts