• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hasn’t ate since I got it

babyjacks

Hi everyone, I got my T last Thursday 5/23/19. They told me that its feedings are Tuesdays and Thursdays. That same Thursday i got it, it didn’t eat. I tried feeding it on Tuesday but it wouldn’t take it. Gonna try again today but I’m worried. Any thoughts?

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi everyone, I got my T last Thursday 5/23/19. They told me that its feedings are Tuesdays and Thursdays. That same Thursday i got it, it didn’t eat. I tried feeding it on Tuesday but it wouldn’t take it. Gonna try again today but I’m worried. Any thoughts?
Hi-its perfectly normal for your T not to eat straight away-they don't eat according to certain days of the week,they feed as and when they need to-what are you currently offering your T as a food source?
as long as your T has a dish of fresh water present at all times I wouldn't be worried:)

Nunua

3 Year Member
No need to worry. Tarantulas don't need food regularly like dogs, cats, bunnies, etc. and they can have long fasting periods.
What I guess from the one photo you posted, your T seems fine size wise so feeding it twice a week is unnecessary anyway - That's a feeding rhythm often used with small slings. I'd suggest you trying to feed it once a week, but even once in 1.5 - 2 weeks is perfectly fine :) You can also leave a pre-killed prey next to your tarantula's hide for 24 hours and just remove it if uneaten. Not eating means it doesn't need food at the moment - Would you eat if you feel full and someone tries to stuff more food into your mouth ;)

Though, thanks @MrKrowe for mentioning it which made me to remember, your tarantula looked like a mature male with hooks and boxing glove like pedipalps... If that's the case, then it probably won't eat anymore at all or very rarely and the abdomen starts shrinking. After maturing, the males have only one purpose - To find a female. Unfortunately some species won't live very long after reaching the ultimate molt.
But to confirm it being a a mature male we'd need more clear photos.

7e4e7f2376.png

Overall and for the future, it's good to remember that tarantulas take some time to settle in the new environment. During this period they may stay hidden more than usual, seal the entrance of their hide, refuse food, sit still.... This behavior is natural and normal, and it may take from few days to several weeks before getting familiar with new surroundings.

Tarantulas teach us patience. ;)

Like @ilovebrachys said, all you tarantula needs at the moment is a water dish with fresh water in it, and if it makes you feel any easier, one of my smallest slings, Brachypelma auratum refused from food for 57 days. It's alive and thriving :D

9952fc2ef1.png

Last edited:

MrKrowe

If this is the same spider you posted a pic of then there's a possibility that it's a mature male. Most males will stop eating and spend all their time constantly searching for females, I seem to recal you mentioning the spider was wandering around the enclosure. Check to see if you can see small hooks on the underside of the first set of legs. Also, take a look at the palps, if they look like they have enlarged tips then you could be looking at a male, some people say the swelling makes it look like the spider is wearing boxing gloves.

Alternatively, post a clear pic of the spider from as many angles as you can get and let the forum take a look.

MrKrowe

No need to worry. Tarantulas don't need food regularly like dogs, cats, bunnies, etc. and they can have long fasting periods.
What I guess from the one photo you posted, your T seems fine size wise so feeding it twice a week is unnecessary anyway - That's a feeding rhythm often used with small slings. I'd suggest you trying to feed it once a week, but even once in 1.5 - 2 weeks is perfectly fine :) You can also leave a pre-killed prey next to your tarantula's hide for 24 hours and just remove it if uneaten. Not eating means it doesn't need food at the moment - Would you eat if you feel full and someone tries to stuff more food into your mouth ;)

Though, if I do remember correctly, your tarantula looked like a mature male with hooks and boxing clove like pedipalps... If that's the case, then it probably won't eat anymore at all or very rarely and the abdomen starts shrinking. After maturing, the males have only one purpose - To find a female. Unfortunately some species don't live very long after reaching the ultimate molt.
But to confirm it being a a mature male we'd need more clear photos.

b4ab21e439.png

Overall and for the future, it's good to remember that tarantulas take some time to settle in the new environment. During this period they may stay hidden more than usual, seal the entrance of their hide, refuse food, sit still.... This behavior is natural and normal, and it may take from few days to several weeks before getting familiar with new surroundings.

Tarantulas teach us patience. ;)

Like @ilovebrachys said, all you tarantula needs at the moment is a water dish with fresh water in it, and if it makes you feel any easier, one of my smallest slings, Brachypelma auratum refused from food for 57 days. It's alive and thriving :D

9952fc2ef1.png

@Nunua Not sure how I missed your comprehensive and helpful post. You said it far better than I did!

babyjacks

Thank you so much! I really appreciate you guys taking time to help me better understand:) the Tarantula community is so awesome!!<3

babyjacks

Is your tarantula on its back or is there something else that made you to guess so?
If it truly is molting, then it's not a mature male. I'm still keen to see few more clear photos :)
It’s not on its back yet but I can see the white from its new body and the current exoskeleton starting to break/crack :)

Latest posts