• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Haplopelma something another

Atx13

3 Year Member
Not really sure on this one, but I purchased it, im leaning towards it being a H. longipes, but confirmation would be awesome!
When i got her home i was worried, she
WP_000369.jpg
WP_000367.jpg
WP_000361.jpg
pretty sluggish, WAY to easy to rehouse for a Haplo, but after about 2 hours in her new home, she was her haplo self, striking at every sound or movement.
anyways, here she is:

Atx13

3 Year Member
Longipes :) though it was Schmidti for a minute, but it's a longipes. I'm Jealous.
sweet! i was kinda confused on the i.d myself, i thought schmidti for a minuter at the pet shop, then looked a pic online and noticed the carapace of the schimdti was much lighter in color, than the T i just picked up.
Regardless of the i.d i couldn't pass her up at $25.00 about 4" in size, almost certain that she is a she, as well.
Thanks for the help, Kenny! :D

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
sweet! i was kinda confused on the i.d myself, i thought schmidti for a minuter at the pet shop, then looked a pic online and noticed the carapace of the schimdti was much lighter in color, than the T i just picked up.
Regardless of the i.d i couldn't pass her up at $25.00 about 4" in size, almost certain that she is a she, as well.
Thanks for the help, Kenny! :D

Seriously, I'm crazy jealous here. I love Asian Ts :D

plessey

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Looking at leg IV it certainly seems to be longipes. To be sure have a read of this Von Wirth, V. & B.F. Striffler. 2005. Neue Erkennstisse zur Vogelspinnen – Unterfamilie Ornithoctoninae, mit Beschreibung von Ornithoctonus aureotibialis sp. n. und Haplopelma longipes sp. n. (Araneae, Theraphosidae). Arthropoda 13(2): 2-27. then get a ruler out and measure leg I & IV. I'd wait until it moults and measure the skin rather than the live spider as they are not the most cooperative of spiders.

*EDIT
Forgot I translated this into English HERE

Atx13

3 Year Member
Me too, other than Lividum, I can't resist a Haplo.
If Lividums aren't over priced, i buy them all! lol.
Looking at leg IV it certainly seems to be longipes. To be sure have a read of this Von Wirth, V. & B.F. Striffler. 2005. Neue Erkennstisse zur Vogelspinnen – Unterfamilie Ornithoctoninae, mit Beschreibung von Ornithoctonus aureotibialis sp. n. und Haplopelma longipes sp. n. (Araneae, Theraphosidae). Arthropoda 13(2): 2-27. then get a ruler out and measure leg I & IV. I'd wait until it moults and measure the skin rather than the live spider as they are not the most cooperative of spiders.

*EDIT
Forgot I translated this into English HERE
Thanks for the post! I will have to wait on a moult now, shes not very friendly after getting adjusted in her new home :)

Atx13

3 Year Member
Love the markings on her abdomen!
She is probably the "nicest" haplopelma I have ever owned, pretty laid back. I can't get enough of these guys... literally.. Sleek, colorful, attitude, big eaters, amazing burrows and webbing.. If anybody enjoys burrows and webbing, I'd recommend getting a haplo for sure.

Latest posts