• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Haplocosmia Himalayana

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
so I thought I'd go through all my husbandry and how I keep Ts to make sure I hadn't made any crucial mistakes and as it turns out I had.

I like to research a species before I get it but I got 2 h himalayana slings in a mystery box and I had no idea how to keep them.

When I recieved them I quickly searched the web and found a few different posts and links saying to keep them dry and they like to burrow.

I keep a waterdish in all my enclosures so they did have water available but I found out today after looking through again that they like it damp.( the guy who posted this attatched a photo of a successful egg sac so that's why I concidered this a more reliable source)

I wanted to change the substrate completely and also make sure I wasn't maintaining 2 dead slings so had to dig them up.

Was expecting 2 dead slings but they were very much alive. Holy hell they were fast.

Anyway. Long story short they're all sorted and now hopefully receiving the correct are needed.

Anyone had similar experiences? I could imagine some of the more experienced keepers have had to adjust husbandry a few times now forums and online caresheets are available in seconds.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
When in doubt I always keep one side of the enclosure wet and the other side dry. I've never had that species but that how I would keep them. Lots of ventilation aswell.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
If I recall, @Thistles had this species at one point. From what I remember, they do burrow quite a bit, though information on how to keep them is a bit conflicting.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
https://www.pinchersandpokies.com/store/p25/Haplocosmia-himalayana-for-sale.html

There seems to be some basic info here. It seems like some of the caresheets for a Cobalt blue (H lividum)

I can't say I've ever had a dedicated fossoral species & the baboons or T stirmi don't really count since they are terrestrials that simply make a burrow as well.

Hmmmm....... ??

The old P striata enclosure would work great once I get the P striata into it's new home...

It is vertical and fully made of glass. I also have a piece of styrofoam that would narrow the volume enough to see what's in the burrow.

Can anyone see where I'm going with this?

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
From some of the videos I've seen they don't seem to different in behaviour to a terrestrial. Once they put on some size they didn't look to burrow too much at all.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
So, are they just like a baboon spider once they get bigger?

Everything burrows at first, even many arboreals.

What's the growth rate and temperament?

Who has decent caresheets for these? Just curious.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
So, are they just like a baboon spider once they get bigger?

Everything burrows at first, even many arboreals.

What's the growth rate and temperament?

Who has decent caresheets for these? Just curious.
I almost bought a subadult female earlier this year. From what I understand, H. himalayana are more likely to be pet holes as they are fossorials.

I didn't get any info on growth rate in the message (growth rate is irrelevant to me so I never ask).

Didn't get any info on Temperament either.

Caresheets kill

If you want good reliable information @KezyGLA is the one who would likely know. @Austin S. is another who may know.

Last edited:

KezyGLA

3 Year Member
They are like Chilobrachys. They are from higher elevations, so cooler temps. 16-22c.

They also don’t require as much moisture as most other Asian fossorials.

Also, in contrast to other Asian fossorials, I have found mine to be more pet webs than pet holes. They have all made small narrow burrows with lots of web. Sitting at the mouth of the burrow unless moulting.

BB9196CB-F70B-4492-AED0-4B20D29936B2.jpeg

Thistles

3 Year Member
I kept mine in deep enclosures (tall jugs) with slightly damp substrate, but nothing too soggy. They were in my basement, so a little on the cooler side, but again, nothing crazy. They did well. Basically, exactly what Kezy says. As usual.

Latest posts