• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hapalopus sp Columbia large tips

J.huff23

3 Year Member
Hey all. I've been trying to pair these for several weeks with nothing happening. My female is fresh and ready. The male allegedly was 2 months fresh when I bought him. Hes made one sperm web in about a month.

When he enters her enclosure he doesnt tap at all. The first several times he just went over and played on top of her burrow and she was non responsive. Today they were just barely touching legs and would step towards each other and back for about 30 minutes. Then the female gave up and went back to her burrow.

Could it be that this male is just not as fresh as he was listed? This is not my first time breeding Ts but it has been a challenging. Any feedback would be great. Thanks.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Just leave him in there with her. They aren't the type of spider to try to intervene with. They are way too fast to try to save the Male if the female wants to eat him anyways. Best to feed her good and put him in there to get acclimated.

AndrewClayton

Hey all. I've been trying to pair these for several weeks with nothing happening. My female is fresh and ready. The male allegedly was 2 months fresh when I bought him. Hes made one sperm web in about a month.

When he enters her enclosure he doesnt tap at all. The first several times he just went over and played on top of her burrow and she was non responsive. Today they were just barely touching legs and would step towards each other and back for about 30 minutes. Then the female gave up and went back to her burrow.

Could it be that this male is just not as fresh as he was listed? This is not my first time breeding Ts but it has been a challenging. Any feedback would be great. Thanks.
The females are notoriously bad for eating the males before they get a chance to mate with this species and they are that fast you don’t really have a chance to save him, so I’d probably would just take the loss and hope for the best put him in there and leave him

J.huff23

3 Year Member
I'd be more willing to do that if he made sperm webs at all. He is suppose to be 2 months past his molt date but has made one sperm web in the past month.

AndrewClayton

I'd be more willing to do that if he made sperm webs at all. He is suppose to be 2 months past his molt date but has made one sperm web in the past month.
If it was longer than 2 months ago he matured you have nothing to loose apart from the T who’s going to die soon anyway if he has been mature for a while. I’d honestly just make sure she’s fed and put him in the enclosure and leave them be and hope for the best