• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Handling Question

KhaleesiMae

3 Year Member
I just got my two little spiderlings, a Pink Toe and a GreenBottle Blue, 1/2" and 3/4" respectively. I have done a LOT of research about handling them and the guy I got them from said he never handles his really. I am honestly very curious into everyone's opinion of whether or not you should ever hold your babies, whether it's healthy for them to be held at all or if it just plain stresses them out. I'm not sure I really want to ever hold the GBB personally but the PT I've been told can be held if you move VERY slowly, and I know I won't be picking them up until they're a good bit bigger either way! Thanks so much!

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Most people don't handle their Ts as it stresses them plus there is always the danger of the T being dropped which can be fatal for them.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantulas aren't good animals for handling. It can stress them out and there are too many risks associated with it. Many species are very fast- moving and defensive and some species have medically significant venom.

KhaleesiMae

3 Year Member
That's what I thought, I just wanted to make sure that I was correct in my thinking there. Now my other question (sorry im such a newbie to these babies) when they are small, like mine, what's the best way to move them up to the next enclosure size without stressing them or having them escape since handling isn't a good idea? Their enclosures at this size are SO small i feel like its near impossible to not give them a way to escape easily!!!

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That's what deli cups and paintbrushes are for. ;)

You could also try researching the " bag method".

Latest posts