• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

H. Mac picky eaters?

Tnoob

Read an article saying this, but I'm not one who readily believes articles with extensive grammatical errors, but I'm starting to wonder. Last ate 5/16 Dubia has been tried several times and I'm getting nowhere. Should I try something else?

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Dunno how big your H mac is but if it ate 2 weeks ago it's possible it's just not hungry. Feeding slings twice a week and adults once a week is only a guideline. After a while you get used to the feeding habits of your individual Ts and you can adjust from there

Tnoob

Dunno how big your H mac is but if it ate 2 weeks ago it's possible it's just not hungry. Feeding slings twice a week and adults once a week is only a guideline. After a while you get used to the feeding habits of your individual Ts and you can adjust from there
It's about 2 inches.
20190529_051341.jpg

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
How big are the dubias? Normally you want to feed a prey item no bigger than the carapace. Obviously with smaller slings prekilled parts are fine

Tnoob

It's the smallest nymph I could find maybe newborn size? My obt wouldn't have taken it either, and it was smaller. Was thinking maybe try something a little larger. I've noticed they sometimes like to fight prey, I guess.

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It's the smallest nymph I could find maybe newborn size? My obt wouldn't have taken it either, and it was smaller. Was thinking maybe try something a little larger. I've noticed they sometimes like to fight prey, I guess.

If it’s a small Dubai (not too big in comparison to your T) and it’s not eating then it’s possibly not hungry

If someone with more experience would correct me I’d welcome it but if you look across the whole animal kingdom no predator likes to fight it’s prey. Predators are calculated hunters and unless desperate will not take unnecessary risks, this is why a lion will go for young zebra over fully grown.

If you put a large Dubai in with your H MAC there is a chance it’ll attack. But it will be defensive not aggressive. All you’ll do is stress it out.

Personally I’d just leave it alone and stop disturbing it. Ts can go a long time without eating so if it chooses to not eat it’s not life threatening. They’ve survived millions of years without us interfering. They are the experts not us

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
If it’s a small Dubai (not too big in comparison to your T) and it’s not eating then it’s possibly not hungry

If someone with more experience would correct me I’d welcome it but if you look across the whole animal kingdom no predator likes to fight it’s prey. Predators are calculated hunters and unless desperate will not take unnecessary risks, this is why a lion will go for young zebra over fully grown.

If you put a large Dubai in with your H MAC there is a chance it’ll attack. But it will be defensive not aggressive. All you’ll do is stress it out.

Personally I’d just leave it alone and stop disturbing it. Ts can go a long time without eating so if it chooses to not eat it’s not life threatening. They’ve survived millions of years without us interfering. They are the experts not us
Well said @Rs50matt ...I completely agree:)
as long as your H.MAC has got water it will be fine-leave it alone for a few days and then try again,but if it doesn't want to eat you cant force it to...

Latest posts