• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Gut loading feeders

Avic

Hi all.
Well we all have to keep feeder insects and care for them, so our tarantulas get the best quality food we can give them.
Currently I'm feeding my crickets Prorep Bug Grub and Prorep Bug Gel, with some fresh vegetables aswell.
Today I came across a product from Repashy (Repashy Bug Burger), have any of you guys/girls used this product, if so what did you think of it?
Thanks in advance.

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I haven't tried it but their fish foods have a great reputation, I can't see it being a bad product.
I've always just used fruit and veg , the staples being mostly carrot to avoid vitamin A deficency in reptiles and chard or spinach for thiamin to counteract vitamin B lost to thiaminase in fish, what makes a good gutload for tarantulas I don't really know, I just go for a variety of vegetables and hope for the best.

Last edited:

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
I find it simplest, easiest and best to use some premium dog or cat kibble and a wide variety of veggies for feeding/gut-loading my roach colonies. I've tired all sorts of those commercial pet products for insect feeding and gut-loading and never found any advantage to them over regular food. They are expensive and the lists of chemicals and ingredients in them is cause for concern.

Those companies want to make money, but there is no sense in reinventing the wheel. Why not use real food? Carrots, potato, oranges, bananas, apple, yams, green beans, kale, pumpkin, and whatever other leftovers we have. I've done it this way for many years and never had any problems. During the times I used these prepared insect products, I saw no difference in the insects or the animals I fed them to. I did have problems with some of the food cubes and water gels becoming fouled in the bottoms of insect tubs. Never have that problem with kibble and veggies.

Latest posts