• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Ground Beetle and other Beasties

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
We found this beauty in our greenhouse. Released it back in there after the photos so it can help keep down pests like slugs.
uyulHfp.jpg

4l6y7qK.jpg

aXcbkxG.jpg

House Spider male looking for some loving last Autumn
dv4KKpp.jpg

Pretty Garden Spider
qWQax2H.jpg

eL1mntp.jpg

Visit from the boyfriend. He's quite big for a male in comparison
OQPZvXH.jpg

She's not in the mood
hO8RpMi.jpg

Little Lacewing. Love those guys, because they eat aphids
TazFOVS.jpg

Nice big dinner
YhdCL2P.jpg

Beautiful freshly emerged Vapourer Moth
KykxCzf.jpg

...and what it used to be like. Vapourer Moth Caterpillar
qyZHOgB.jpg

Not a creepy crawlie, but still cute: Common Toad
fksAzsR.jpg

6-spotted Ladybird, which is, as I've learned when getting ladybirds for the plants, not a UK native species
almzwyN.jpg

Butterfly
ur3pkw0.jpg

Very gravid spider
AAucvom.jpg

Not everyone's favourite, but I like wasps.
6VGNQPr.jpg

Absolutely beautiful little Green Orb Weaver
dQHG3r2.jpg

3WxPUkQ.jpg

Rmac88

3 Year Member
Awesome pics! Garden spiders are one of my favorite, they make such beautiful webs! Looks like there's way more interesting critters around you haha. Most I find around here are garden spiders, jumping spiders, the occasional wolf/fishing spiders and black widows (just gotta know where to look for those). I did find a baby kingsnake once while cutting grass. Didn't seem to be bother by me picking it up by its tail and taking a few pictures :D

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Awesome pics! Garden spiders are one of my favorite, they make such beautiful webs! Looks like there's way more interesting critters around you haha. Most I find around here are garden spiders, jumping spiders, the occasional wolf/fishing spiders and black widows (just gotta know where to look for those). I did find a baby kingsnake once while cutting grass. Didn't seem to be bother by me picking it up by its tail and taking a few pictures :D

See, I would say you've got more interesting critters over there lol.
I'd love to see a Black Widow, they're so beautiful. We only get False Widows (and even they are rare up her in Scotland) and everyone goes into a meltdown, lol. I've never seen a snake in the wild here neither (I think there are 3 native species: Adder, Grass Snake and Smooth Snake) although I did see a baby Coronella austriaca in Southern Germany once when I was little (it was just bigger than a large worm, but really pretty).

Rmac88

3 Year Member
Reminds me of a story when I was young, I had found a black widow, picked it up, and strolled inside with it held out in the palm of my hand. The second my mother realized what it was she freaked "Ryan what the f*** is that???" She then made me throw it in the toilet and flush it :( I was so sad haha

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Awww, poor spider haha. Chances are it may have survived, if there wasn't too much detergents in the water.

My gran told me that when my granddad was a boy (he grew up in what used to be East Prussia) he would constantly bring wild animals in. He once brought home an injured owl. His mum thought it was stuffed when it was perched in the kitchen until it turned its head lol.
The best incident must have been when a man gave him a German Shepherd Puppy, because allegedly the mum had died. My granddad took it home and showed his dad. Turned out the "pup" was a wolf cub. They ended up not killing it, because the local game keeper took it and reared it.
I think I might take after my granddad a bit lol (to my mum's delight, I always brought in insects into the house and once tried to keep a mouse I'd rescued from one of our cats lol).

MiaWolf42

3 Year Member
Oh the things I caught and tried to bring home!

I prefer the brown widows here in Florida. I've seen one red widow. Growing up I kept a black widow in a ten gallon on our screened porch. Would feed it bugs that I found. I'd catch black racers, rat snakes and once a water moccasin. Rescued birds, took in an opossum for a couple days, diverted a baby bunny into the house, kept tree hoppers in a tent, oh and was bit by a pygmy rattlesnake!

I'm surprised I didn't give my mom a heart attack! She definitely did not like going into my room.

MiaWolf42

3 Year Member
We found this beauty in our greenhouse. Released it back in there after the photos so it can help keep down pests like slugs.
uyulHfp.jpg

4l6y7qK.jpg

aXcbkxG.jpg

House Spider male looking for some loving last Autumn
dv4KKpp.jpg

Pretty Garden Spider
qWQax2H.jpg

eL1mntp.jpg

Visit from the boyfriend. He's quite big for a male in comparison
OQPZvXH.jpg

She's not in the mood
hO8RpMi.jpg

Little Lacewing. Love those guys, because they eat aphids
TazFOVS.jpg

Nice big dinner
YhdCL2P.jpg

Beautiful freshly emerged Vapourer Moth
KykxCzf.jpg

...and what it used to be like. Vapourer Moth Caterpillar
qyZHOgB.jpg

Not a creepy crawlie, but still cute: Common Toad
fksAzsR.jpg

6-spotted Ladybird, which is, as I've learned when getting ladybirds for the plants, not a UK native species
almzwyN.jpg

Butterfly
ur3pkw0.jpg

Very gravid spider
AAucvom.jpg

Not everyone's favourite, but I like wasps.
6VGNQPr.jpg

Absolutely beautiful little Green Orb Weaver
dQHG3r2.jpg

3WxPUkQ.jpg
Awesome photos!

Latest posts