• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Greetings everyone!

SpellKaster4

Hello everyone!

My name is Aaron. I'm super new to the tarantula hobby. I've been interested in them for years but never enough to actually get one, at least until about three days ago. I got my first tarantula this week, a Lasiodora parahybana. If it turns out to be a boy I'm going to call him Peter (Spiderman) and if it's a girl then I'm going with Jessica (Spiderwoman). For now I'm just assuming boy and going with Peter. He's just a baby at 1/2" so I think that makes him a sling still? I'm super excited to watch him grow. I'm also super excited to be on here and pick everyone's brains! I feel like I know a fair amount but I know I still have a ton to learn and I can't wait. Anyways! Looking forward to interacting with everyone!

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Welcome to the forum and the hobby!
You'll find a friendly, helpful bunch of people here, don't be afraid to ask questions, this is not one of those forums where newcomers are mocked or just told to search for themselves.
That said, searching the forum will yield a great deal of information and keep you occupied for quite a while.
One thing we love here are pictures, feel free to add as many as you like to your threads!

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Welcome Aaron. You won't have long to wait for your little one to grow, they do so at an amazing rate :D

SpellKaster4

Welcome Aaron. You won't have long to wait for your little one to grow, they do so at an amazing rate :D
I work at a pet store in my local town and there's a guy who comes in all the time who's really helped me a lot with getting into the hobby. He's told me pretty much the same thing. We keep joking that eventually I'll be like Crocodile Dundee. "That's not a spider, this is a spider" lol.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That's an excellent choice for a first one. Male or female, it'll be impressive. Coloration between both is similar with males being slimmer and a bit more leggy then females.

You essentially can't over feed a sling. This probably won't be your last Lasiodora species.

SpellKaster4

That's an excellent choice for a first one. Male or female, it'll be impressive. Coloration between both is similar with males being slimmer and a bit more leggy then females.

You essentially can't over feed a sling. This probably won't be your last Lasiodora species.
So far he's been eating a cricket a day. I was thinking of doing one every other day but if it won't hurt anything I'll let him eat. From what I've read and been told these guys are kinda gentle giants so it'll be really cool having him chill out in my living room with me. I've got a nice spot for him all planned out so he can be like a show piece on a side coffee table.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
So far he's been eating a cricket a day. I was thinking of doing one every other day but if it won't hurt anything I'll let him eat. From what I've read and been told these guys are kinda gentle giants so it'll be really cool having him chill out in my living room with me. I've got a nice spot for him all planned out so he can be like a show piece on a side coffee table.
A cricket once or twice a week will suffice, LPs aren't that docile, though individuals do vary. At 1/2" it probably won't be the most visible, as it is likely going to do some digging.

SpellKaster4

A cricket once or twice a week will suffice, LPs aren't that docile, though individuals do vary. At 1/2" it probably won't be the most visible, as it is likely going to do some digging.
He hasn't done any digging yet. I have a bit of cork wood in with him and he likes to hang out under it right now. I'm obviously no expert but I thought that LPs were a relatively docile breed? At least compared to others that is.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
He hasn't done any digging yet. I have a bit of cork wood in with him and he likes to hang out under it right now. I'm obviously no expert but I thought that LPs were a relatively docile breed? At least compared to others that is.

When I got my 2 at 1" only 1 dug a burrow, the other was happy to hide under a leaf but as they grew they both were happy to stay in the open. They were both quite calm until food came on the scene then they'd pounce. I believe their urticating hairs can cause quite severe irritation although so far I've not experienced that.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
When I got my 2 at 1" only 1 dug a burrow, the other was happy to hide under a leaf but as they grew they both were happy to stay in the open. They were both quite calm until food came on the scene then they'd pounce. I believe their urticating hairs can cause quite severe irritation although so far I've not experienced that.
I had a male before I joined the forum, that was more along the lines of skittish.

SpellKaster4

LPs as a general rule of thumb aren't known for throwing hairs too often correct? I know that probably varies spider to spider.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Lasiodora species aren't super defensive but the temperment is not at all suited to handling. The feeding response is out of this world. They bite and eat first and ask questions later. This includes your fingers!!

Having said that, they are generally calm tarantulas and as they get larger, will tend to hang out in plain sight.

It's also important to provide a large hiding place. They get defensive and nervous when it's just substrate and a water dish.

They are a great first T, but strictly a look but don't touch pet!!

Having said that, needless handling and any tarantula is asking for trouble. None of them have the neurology to handle social interactions with people.

Some like E sp red and pink zebra beauties are thought to be super calm ones that tolerate handling and will walk upon human hands on their own.

These docile species also grow very slowly and are expensive, drawbacks that Lasiodora species don't have. E sp red can also fast for weeks to months at a time for no apparent reason. Slings for both aren't all that hardy either when compared to Lasiodora.

Pink zebra beauties are neat spiders but pick the size you actually want because you'll be stuck with that for a long long time.

Here's a few pics of my Lasiodora Klugi.

L Klugi ultimate pic 2.jpg
L klugi Justina 2nd day May 2018 molt1.jpg

Here's a LP feeding.

Last edited:

SpellKaster4

Lasiodora species aren't super defensive but the temperment is not at all suited to handling. The feeding response is out of this world. They bite and eat first and ask questions later. This includes your fingers!!

Having said that, they are generally calm tarantulas and as they get larger, will tend to hang out in plain sight.

It's also important to provide a large hiding place. They get defensive and nervous when it's just substrate and a water dish.

They are a great first T, but strictly a look but don't touch pet!!

Having said that, needless handling and any tarantula is asking for trouble. None of them have the neurology to handle social interactions with people.

Some like E sp red and pink zebra beauties are thought to be super calm ones that tolerate handling and will walk upon human hands on their own.

These docile species also grow very slowly and are expensive, drawbacks that Lasiodora species don't have. E sp red can also fast for weeks to months at a time for no apparent reason. Slings for both aren't all that hardy either when compared to Lasiodora.

Pink zebra beauties are neat spiders but pick the size you actually want because you'll be stuck with that for a long long time.

Here's a few pics of my Lasiodora Klugi.

View attachment 30028 View attachment 30030

Here's a LP feeding.

That's a really cool looking spider you have! I wasn't really planning on handling him very much to be honest. Based on what I've seen and heard there isn't much point unless you're a thrill seeker. Most of the handling will probably be when I transfer him or have to do cleanings. My current home for him has a bit of cork wood in it that he seems to love. I've heard that LPs like to dig when they are young but so far he likes to just hang around the wood. Here's a picture of the set up. You can kinda see him next to the wood in it but he blends in really well. I'll try to get some more and upload them too.

Attachments

• 20180519_201857.jpg
    20180519_201857.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 8

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I love that enclosure, totally crystal clear as they should be in my opinion.

The spider you see is a relative of yours, Lasiodora Klugi. The genus has several members all of which are pretty good looking but differ in prices and availability.

Even if Justina (my spider) WAS willing to tolerate handling, the urticating hairs on these guys are just awful. Be careful handling molted skins!!

You don't have to handle to rehouse. A paint brush and a catch cup with a proper fitting lid are your best friends.

Latest posts