• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Greenbottle Blue

BrettRolo

Hey all, I'm brand new to the Tarantula Keeping scene...

Today I got a Greenbottle Blue Tarantula and it's a beauty!

Issue: My humidity is far too high and I don't know how severe of an issue this is...

Recommended: TEMP 22-29°C and HUMIDITY 60-65%
My enclosure: TEMP 23.5°C and HUMIDITY 80% (Can spike a little higher)

I took the spider back out of the enclosure and tried to drain as much water as possible from the substrate but it's still the same humidity :(
If someone could guide me on what I should do next to keep the spidey happy, that would be much appreciated!

Bonus: Here's a short video of the spidey/enclosure

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Beautiful T. Congratulations. You chose a great spider and a great site. You obviously have good taste

Consider losing the hygrometer. They are not very accurate and chasing humidity will drive you crazy. Use dry substrate, coco fiber is excellent, and lots of anchor points for webbing. Ventilation at the top and sides is important. Other than that, keep a water dish at all times and you are set.

BrettRolo

Beautiful T. Congratulations. You chose a great spider and a great site. You obviously have good taste

Consider losing the hygrometer. They are not very accurate and chasing humidity will drive you crazy. Use dry substrate, coco fiber is excellent, and lots of anchor points for webbing. Ventilation at the top and sides is important. Other than that, keep a water dish at all times and you are set.
Thank you very much, it's good to have a second voice behind things! :D

For now I have no super dry substrate so I'll pick some up tomorrow. The T seems to like the enclosure already - laying webbing!

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thank you very much, it's good to have a second voice behind things! :D

For now I have no super dry substrate so I'll pick some up tomorrow. The T seems to like the enclosure already - laying webbing!
If you have lots of air flow your substrate should dry out rather fast. Personally I wouldn't buy more (they don't use substrate to burrow, they really don't need substrate all). They can handle a little moisture from time to time. Even though they are a arid species they do get flash floods in the region they come from. That may be another reason why they web up so high off the ground.

Latest posts