• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Green Thumb

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I enjoy gardening/planting and anything that has to do with it....but I must say my thumb is far from green when it comes to my favorite flowers. I love orchids and lillies (my two favorite flowers). I can keep vegetables alive (in a garden) and most other flowers but orchids and lillies are my weakness.

On a side note: my CUTEST planter, ever....I don't even know what kind of plant it is...cactus...succulent? Anyway....only liked it because I'm a HUGE Groot fan. :)
20190807_190438.jpg

Last edited:

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I enjoy gardening/planting and anything that has to do with it....but I must say my thumb is far from green when it comes to my favorite flowers. I love orchids and lillies (my two favorite flowers). I can keep vegetables alive (in a garden) and most other flowers but orchids and lillies are my weakness.

On a side note: my CUTEST planter, ever....I don't even know what kind of plant it is...cactus...succulent? Anyway....only liked it because I'm a HUGE Groot fan. :)
View attachment 39825
My 2nd (ex) wife likes Lillys. Was going to call our 3rd daughter Lilly but when she came out with jet black hair it didn't seem to fit. She is now very blonde so a missed opportunity there....LOL
I have a dancing Groot* in the conservatory so that pic is fab.

*dances to the MJ song in the film so.... "whoa baby give me one more chance" ;)

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
My 2nd (ex) wife likes Lillys. Was going to call our 3rd daughter Lilly but when she came out with jet black hair it didn't seem to fit. She is now very blonde so a missed opportunity there....LOL
I have a dancing Groot* in the conservatory so that pic is fab.

*dances to the MJ song in the film so.... "whoa baby give me one more chance" ;)

Awwww, Lilly is a beautiful name and it definitely suits her! My mom was gonna name me Cheyenne when I was born but changed her mind....I would rather have that name than the one I have now. I have a thing for Groot and Yoda. Groot is cute....and Yoda is bad ass because he's wise. He was actually the only reason I watched Star Wars. If there was an episode without him in it, it was just "blah" to me. Lol. In Guardians of the Galaxy, the scene where Groot was being bullied by the bad guys set me off....poor little thing....one of those things where it kinda makes you wanna jump through the TV and save the day......kick some ass .....whichever may come first... ha ha ha ha....

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Awwww, Lilly is a beautiful name and it definitely suits her! My mom was gonna name me Cheyenne when I was born but changed her mind....I would rather have that name than the one I have now. I have a thing for Groot and Yoda. Groot is cute....and Yoda is bad ass because he's wise. He was actually the only reason I watched Star Wars. If there was an episode without him in it, it was just "blah" to me. Lol. In Guardians of the Galaxy, the scene where Groot was being bullied by the bad guys set me off....poor little thing....one of those things where it kinda makes you wanna jump through the TV and save the day......kick some ass .....whichever may come first... ha ha ha ha....
You are not shy and you are not an Anne either! (Shy Anne...get it) ha ha

Always sticking up for the wonderfully weird people. That's awesome. :)

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I love orchids and lillies (my two favorite flowers).

I use to keep Orchids as a teenager back in the 70's & was amazed to see that the supplier I used down in Burnham on the South Coast of England was still in business. I remembered it because I lived a few miles from the Norfolk Burnhams. (that is Burnham Market, Overy, Deepdale & Norton & as you can see, all begin with A.)

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Hey @Casey K and @Phil. I smiled when I saw this thread cos my kid is called Lily (middle name Anna) and she has a dancing Groot in her bedroom. She loves Guardians of the Galaxy and Groot is her favourite character. Seems like Lilys and Groots go hand in hand lol lol

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hey @Casey K and @Phil. I smiled when I saw this thread cos my kid is called Lily (middle name Anna) and she has a dancing Groot in her bedroom. She loves Guardians of the Galaxy and Groot is her favourite character. Seems like Lilys and Groots go hand in hand lol lol

Appears your daughter and I have a lot in common! Does she collect tarantulas, too?

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Appears your daughter and I have a lot in common! Does she collect tarantulas, too?

She's really interested and has been quite involved when I recently bought our 1st sling (LP). Though I've drummed it into her that she isn't allowed to go near without me ( don't want her knocking the vial over). It's on a really high shelf away from the cat so she can't stop and look in without having to ask. So she's getting really interested in the crickets, because they are kept at eye level (sturdier weighted down tub) and she loves helping to maintain them. She likes using the tongs + doing the fruit and veg!
She's into Exotics Lair because well, 9 year olds find him funny. He is a charismatic young guy. Whatever people say about his husbandry, I think he's ultimately having a positive impact of stopping his younger audience becoming arachnophobes. The majority of them will never keep T's but at least they will be a little less scared of spiders!
That's why I got a T. I used to be a huge arachnophobe and I didn't want that for my daughter :)

What about your son? Is he into your T's and does he/will he have any of his own?

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
She's really interested and has been quite involved when I recently bought our 1st sling (LP). Though I've drummed it into her that she isn't allowed to go near without me ( don't want her knocking the vial over). It's on a really high shelf away from the cat so she can't stop and look in without having to ask. So she's getting really interested in the crickets, because they are kept at eye level (sturdier weighted down tub) and she loves helping to maintain them. She likes using the tongs + doing the fruit and veg!
She's into Exotics Lair because well, 9 year olds find him funny. He is a charismatic young guy. Whatever people say about his husbandry, I think he's ultimately having a positive impact of stopping his younger audience becoming arachnophobes. The majority of them will never keep T's but at least they will be a little less scared of spiders!
That's why I got a T. I used to be a huge arachnophobe and I didn't want that for my daughter :)

What about your son? Is he into your T's and does he/will he have any of his own?

My son handles them (of course under my supervision). He loves spiders. I teach him not to be fearful and to be responsible. There is one downfall to this, though and I find it a bit funny and disturbing at the same time.....though he will handle a tarantula and allow it crawl all over him....he is scared to DEATH of a molt! I mean shaking, screaming, crying kind of scared....very fearful. I ask him why and he says "because spiders take their clothes off and I don't like that".... lol....he has mentioned the tarsal claws on the molt "poking" him or feeling "scratchy". I am trying my damndest to get him to overcome his fear of molts and I've tried everything from soothing him, explaining what the molt is and why tarantulas do it....the entire process.... a bit uncanny. Lol. He doesn't like snake shed, either. He'll hold a snake all day long and say how cute it is.....but absolutely will not touch a snake skin. My daughter could care less for ANY of it. She doesn't even like my cresties....lol.

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Oh bless him. Maybe it's cos kids are a squeamish about death and seeing the insides of stuff (thinking about it, so am I lol) and a molt to him is like a dead spider thing? I mean they do look pretty gross to the average person! And with him feeling the scratchy claws as well, it's just totally put him off.
My friend who had a G.rosea that he used to handle frequently said he never itched from the hairs (I presume it wasn't much of a kicker) but he used to feel itchy afterwards from the claws!! Now I suspect strongly that he may have been haired without realising, but having never held a T before myself... I'd be interested in what you think? Perhaps they can be very superficially irritating, like if you accidentally get a very light scratch that you only notice when it starts to itch.
It's great that your son is into them though and your daughter not caring less, just shows how individual siblings are :)

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My son handles them (of course under my supervision). He loves spiders. I teach him not to be fearful and to be responsible. There is one downfall to this, though and I find it a bit funny and disturbing at the same time.....though he will handle a tarantula and allow it crawl all over him....he is scared to DEATH of a molt! I mean shaking, screaming, crying kind of scared....very fearful. I ask him why and he says "because spiders take their clothes off and I don't like that".... lol....he has mentioned the tarsal claws on the molt "poking" him or feeling "scratchy". I am trying my damndest to get him to overcome his fear of molts and I've tried everything from soothing him, explaining what the molt is and why tarantulas do it....the entire process.... a bit uncanny. Lol. He doesn't like snake shed, either. He'll hold a snake all day long and say how cute it is.....but absolutely will not touch a snake skin. My daughter could care less for ANY of it. She doesn't even like my cresties....lol.
sounds like he has been traumatised with seeing someone naked? ha ha....care to comment @Casey K. ROFL:D:D:D
[edit]...you know I am only joking! I think it's just that he needs to process that the skin is not actually a bad thing for both snakes and spiders :)

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Oh bless him. Maybe it's cos kids are a squeamish about death and seeing the insides of stuff (thinking about it, so am I lol) and a molt to him is like a dead spider thing? I mean they do look pretty gross to the average person! And with him feeling the scratchy claws as well, it's just totally put him off.
My friend who had a G.rosea that he used to handle frequently said he never itched from the hairs (I presume it wasn't much of a kicker) but he used to feel itchy afterwards from the claws!! Now I suspect strongly that he may have been haired without realising, but having never held a T before myself... I'd be interested in what you think? Perhaps they can be very superficially irritating, like if you accidentally get a very light scratch that you only notice when it starts to itch.
It's great that your son is into them though and your daughter not caring less, just shows how individual siblings are :)
some of the hairs are microscopic so I think you are spot on, scratching probably caused by them rather then the claws which will be hard and will not shed any particles....if that makes sense? :T:

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member

I'm thinking it's the actual feeling of the tarsal claws that has him on edge...creepy crawly, like......he has never scratched himself from something as urticating hairs would cause him to itch (continuous). It's just the direct contact and the way they feel on his skin.... he has asked me if the molt was actually a dead spider now that i think of it....you could be on to something....perhaps he thinks the same about snake skin....even seeing the animal after its cycle is complete he still doesn't seem to understand how its the same animal, lol. To him, they are two different things.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
sounds like he has been traumatised with seeing someone naked? ha ha....care to comment @Casey K. ROFL:D:D:D
[edit]...you know I am only joking! I think it's just that he needs to process that the skin is not actually a bad thing for both snakes and spiders :)

Lol....he isn't allowed to see "anything" naked in my house!!! Ha ha ha ha....but yes, I know you are jk. :)

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club

Just saw this! you're a scream Phil. Literally crying with laughter here!! :D

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
I had one of those carnivorous plants once. Can't remember the name but the common name is Huntsman's Horn (s******). They grow super fast. All you had to do was water it frequently, very thirsty plants they are. I'm not particularly green fingered but it thrived so it must be easy to keep, as long as you can remember to water it.
Be quite cool to keep more varieties, always liked the look of Venus Fly Traps, and there are loads of others

Latest posts