• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Green Bottle Blue may not be doing so well

Firefiter236

3 Year Member
Hello to all who can help.

I recently got a spiderling GBB. She was hatched at about the end of may. When I got her, in beginning of August, she was about the size of a dime leg span and all. She is now about the size of a quarter. I don't know when the first molt should take place, but she has been refusing food, climbing the walls of her terrarium and not webbing like she should and has before. I am very worried about this! Does anyone have any input? Is this because she may be getting ready to molt? Do they molt when they are that size/young? Please help! Anything will be much appreciated.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
yes, you're probably looking at an impending molt. Just leave her be and let her do her thing.
as far as webbing goes, don't worry. You haven't had her long. sometimes it just takes them a little time to settle in.

Firefiter236

3 Year Member
Thank you Kenny. The reason I brought up the webbing is that when I first got her, within 2 days she had a borough spun in the terrarium, but up on a lava rock and under a fake leaf suction cupped to the side. She made her entrance at the top and her crickets would just hide out under her and she couldn't get to them and is not a good hunter like my Rose is. I had to take it all apart because I was afraid she wasn't getting enough of her food. That was 3 days ago and she still isn't spinning.

Sabeth

3 Year Member
When my A. versicolor sling goes into premolt, it climbs all over its enclosure, too. :p It sounds like everything is fine with your GBB.

Firefiter236

3 Year Member
Thank you all for all of the info. So my GBB is in the process of molting right now. I have a new question now! How long after the molt is complete should I wait until I pull the molt out of the terrarium?

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
wait until the T is completely off it and then go for it. Or you could just wait a week or two till it's hardened.

Firefiter236

3 Year Member
Awesome. Thank you. I am very excited. This is her first molt and she is starting to take on more color as she is coming out. This is cool.