• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Grass Hoppers

Poec54

3 Year Member
The general advice is don't use wild caught feeders. Many areas have had chemical exposure (which can take years to break down), from pesticides, herbicides, and fungicides used by homeowners and farmers, to industrial chemical run offs that rain can spread for many miles. Some municipalities aerial spray for mosquitoes.

If you can get captive-raised grasshoppers, try them. The problem is their ability to jump and fly, which is why crickets are infinitely more popular in the US. You could be running after grasshoppers all over your house, trying to catch escapees.

MatthewM1

3 Year Member
Chances of finding CB grasshoppers in the US are slim to none. It's illegal to transport them over state lines so nobody really bothers as if you were going to sell the market would be limited to hobbyists in your state. You could collect your own and breed for a few generations to reduce risk or chemical/pathogen exposure but it's not really worth the effort in my opinion.

Linda Fluekiger

3 Year Member
Thanks for the info. I figured there was a good reason it was not mentioned here. I try to search to get info, but I see I searched grass hopper as 2 words. Lucy seems to dig her dubia roaches, we will stick to those.

Thanks again!

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Definitely avoid feeding any wild caught insects. I'm convinced that an acquaintance of mine lost his tarantula because he was feeding it crickets bed found around his house.