• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Grammostola rosea

Savanah octavo

1. My lil rose is still a baby so how often should I feed it?

2.how long until I may start handling it?

3. What are the best conditions for a chilean rose?

4.how long till I can determine the gender?

Thank u so much for the help

Tarantulafeets

1. I would feed once or twice a week, but there is no need to feed when the abdomen is plump. You can feed it less as it grows.

2. I wouldn't recommend handling, as it doesn't benefit the spider in any way, and it can only stress them out being taken from its home and walking on a giant creature. It can also bolt at any time, and can fall off and go splat on the floor. It can also bite you if provoked, and which might lead to jerking your hand and the t going splat. Best way to avoid all this? Don't ;)

3. For a small sling, you can keep it in a 16oz deli cup, and you can use a push pin to make ventilation holes. Fill the container 1/2 to 2/3 the way up with substrate, keep one side moist, and overfill the waterdish once in a while. Give it a hide and you should be good to go. For anything I missed, Tom Moran as Tom's Big Spiders on youtube has great husbandry videos on his channel. Here's how I set up my T albo as an example:
20210809_103342.jpg

4. To determine the gender, I would wait until it is about over 2 inches dls, but G rosea are really slow growers, so it will be a while before you can tell the sex.

Hope you enjoy your t, and welcome to the forum!:)
You are welcome to post anymore questions that you might have here.

Savanah octavo

1. I would feed once or twice a week, but there is no need to feed when the abdomen is plump. You can feed it less as it grows.

2. I wouldn't recommend handling, as it doesn't benefit the spider in any way, and it can only stress them out being taken from its home and walking on a giant creature. It can also bolt at any time, and can fall off and go splat on the floor. It can also bite you if provoked, and which might lead to jerking your hand and the t going splat. Best way to avoid all this? Don't ;)

3. For a small sling, you can keep it in a 16oz deli cup, and you can use a push pin to make ventilation holes. Fill the container 1/2 to 2/3 the way up with substrate, keep one side moist, and overfill the waterdish once in a while. Give it a hide and you should be good to go. For anything I missed, Tom Moran as Tom's Big Spiders on youtube has great husbandry videos on his channel. Here's how I set up my T albo as an example:
View attachment 58761

4. To determine the gender, I would wait until it is about over 2 inches dls, but G rosea are really slow growers, so it will be a while before you can tell the sex.

Hope you enjoy your t, and welcome to the forum!:)
You are welcome to post anymore questions that you might have here.
Thank you so much for all your help

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
I think Tarantulafeets did an excellent job in summarizing G. rosea care.

I am new to tarantula keeping and have 6 Ts including three G. rosea, one is about 3" and two I received last week are 3/4-1". So I can provide some thoughts.

All seem to be somewhat prone to be outside their hides, certainly more so than G. pulchras. In the wild they come from arid scrublands so I keep their substrate dry ( the humidity in the room is 40-55 percent which does not seem to cause any visible problems for them). I just leave water in the dish.

At this point, I feed the slings cut up pieces of superworm. No worrying about their dinner eluding them and I can tell if they have eaten or not. Not very exciting, but less worries for me.

Superworms are easier for me to keep so I use them mostly, along with crickets from time to time. Even the larger G. rosea gets fed superworms, although I crush the larva's head to prevent biting and burrowing.
In the picture, it looks like the t is going to pounce, but he didn't. He refused.

Attachments

• 20210718_121314.jpg
    20210718_121314.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 8