• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Grammostola Rosea help please

Razoro

3 Year Member
hi,
i bought yesterday a G. rosea because i thought that she was hurt and so the 2 employees (when i told them that something wasn't right with her...
but now i think it is pieces of the last moult...
they also didn't know her :D age ... im thinking maybe 7 years...
she is about 6-7cm body and 11-12cm legspan....
she doesn't move much...im waiting 3 - 4 days for her to get used to the new house...
humidity is 80% ... i was aiming for 75%.... dont know if 80 is too much since i found 2 care sheets one with above 70% and the 2nd with 50-65%.
room temperature is about 26 cº day and 22 cº night.
if any of you could help telling me if she is hurt or if she had a bad molt and shine some light about her age and humidity levels would be awesome :)
the enclosure is still in for some changes :)

Attachments

• IMG_20140702_023614_1.jpg
    IMG_20140702_023614_1.jpg
    718.6 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_20140702_023700.jpg
    IMG_20140702_023700.jpg
    301 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_20140702_023727.jpg
    IMG_20140702_023727.jpg
    270.8 KB · Views: 86

lazorkat

3 Year Member
ok so first things first it appears that she had a bad molt. i would gently try to remove the pice hanging off her. it should come off on its own if you cant hopefully her legs and abdomen molted fine, if she didnt she could be stuck in them and at that point it could be fatal. the humidity lvels are to high G rosea are a desert species and like it dry with lil humidity so 80% is way way to high. i would stop spraying her cage or what ever u are doing to get the humidity up that high . let her cage dry out and leave it that way. room temperature is fine for her or perhapse slightly warmer around 80 degrees F should be perfect. as for her age there is no telling how old she is if you did not raise her from a sling . but G rosea are known to live up to 25 years so if she is a female u will have her for a long time.

Razoro

3 Year Member
thats was quite helpful :)
i did the changes to the enclosure and she seems pretty well..she already ate 3 crickets...i think that if she is fed up she will not be looking for preys tomorow :p and that i can gently take off the the two pieces from the last molt....it seems that the pieces are the only ones that remain from the last molt because she moved quite fast when she hunted the crickets and even webbed a lilttle....
i'll try to retrieve the 2 pieces tomorow and poste it here.
thanks a lot.

Razoro

3 Year Member
i tried to remove the old pieces ( a lil part from the cephalo torax and a lil part from the abdomen ) of last molt and couldn't do it... i even put her in my hand to try closely but it didnt come off and didnt try again...
my Godzilla was very calm the hole process and in the end i gave her a cricket.... do i try again or should i wait for the next molt? those 2 pieces from the last molt seems to be the only ones...
she have a really nice color and definition on her legs.
im thinking that during the last molt she wasnt in a very good place to do it and those 2 pieces were just stuck because they molt on their backs.....

lazorkat

3 Year Member
if she molted her legs and abdomen them she will be ok i would leave her and not mess with the old flaking molt . they will come off on there own. but if your holding her you could try to grab it gently with a tweezer and see if it will come free . im glad you lowered the humidity for her 80 is far to high for her. G roseas are a finicky species to care for idk why they sell them in pet stores they require a lot of knowledge of there species to care for. please if you have any more questions on her e Mail me at [email protected] and i will gladly help all i can

MiaWolf42

3 Year Member
I've had a female G. Roses since 1998. She is still doing well! I'm not sure how old she was when I bought her.