• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

grammostola pulchripes feeding what would be better

Shiro44

Hello there im pretty new to the hobby and im about to buy myself a golden knee one and i dont know about the feeding, can i just buy the worms or some hoppers and keep them, and what happens if i only have to feed my golden knee once or twice a month but i keep the hoppers they die because most shops sell a lot of hoppers at once or can i just feed my golden knee dead hoppers? im confused and i need help pls ;-;

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi ans welcome to this wonderful forum.
In order to advice we will need to know the size of the T you are getting.Slings need more freding than adults.And It will depend on your particular spider and how it is housed, how often it will eat or not(as tarantula are not any other pet and sometimes they do that..You are in the right place to get sound advice about the peoper care of your T.
Regards Konstantin

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
You have realised the predicament most keepers after buying their first tarantula have, on what to do with all those extra feeders, ahead of time. The simple solution to this problem is to just buy more tarantulas. ;)

You cannot feed dead insects to a tarantula. Most with the exception of slings are unlikely to take pre-killed prey anyway. If you're feeding pre-killed hoppers to slings then there is an option to freeze them and take one out to thaw and feed. But ideally even slings prefer live prey.

Colorado Ts

Hello there im pretty new to the hobby and im about to buy myself a golden knee one and i dont know about the feeding, can i just buy the worms or some hoppers and keep them, and what happens if i only have to feed my golden knee once or twice a month but i keep the hoppers they die because most shops sell a lot of hoppers at once or can i just feed my golden knee dead hoppers? im confused and i need help pls ;-;
Small slings will scavenge for food. But as they grow they loose this desire (ability) and focus on living prey item. Once a sling gets to about 1" in size, feed living prey items.

If you only have 1 sling of a couple...small group...you can get by with keeping a small group of crickets, or meal worms are nice because they can be kept dormant in the fridge until needed.

A cricket's life cycle is about 7-8 weeks in length. You can buy medium crickets and keep them for a several weeks as they grow out and get larger. Adult crickets are at the end of their life cycle and tend to die off rather quickly. When I kept crickets I kept them in a small plastic container that I bought at WalMart for about $2.00+/-. Put in some egg crate sections for habitat and some food and water. I used beverage lids as dishes for the food, I fed flaked fish-food. Great food for crickets. For water get some Water Crystals and put only a couple of them in another dish and add water...they will expand to 400X their original volume, great way to water your crickets or other feeders.

Phobik1

3 Year Member
I have 2 juvenile Grammostolas. Just got them bout 10 days ago. Im using small mealworms ($3.99 at pet store) that i can keep in the fridge. They have fed twice. Each time i take one out, cut off the head and legs (3 or 4 rows of legs w head) keeps it from burrowing and they gobble one or 2 each.

I like having a feeder available in the refrigerator, easier than stopping by the pet pet store to feed only 2 Ts. Yeah, i have too many mealworms, i need more Ts.

E

ExMember

I feed decapitated mealworms to all my spiders except my Phidippus regius. They all take dead prey. Even the adults. Sometimes I throw in a few live crickets.

E

ExMember

Pretty much every store that I get my feeders at will sell me as many crickets as I want. Maybe you could see if that's possible. I remember buying 2 crickets one time and it cost me 10 cents :)

Latest posts