• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Grammostola pulchra Questions

Sbirtell1

Hey there!!!

I just wanted to know if Lilith is a healthy size? By her size I was told she’s already a couple years old. She gets fed 4 crickets every 1.5-2 weeks, & I just picked up some Dubia roaches to try feeding her to have a variety. I give her fresh spring water or filtered water daily.

Also, the patch on her abdomen keeps appearing. Is it dirt from the coco fiber bedding? When she molts it goes away, but a day or 2 later it comes back! Or is it something I’m doing wrong? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• FB70DD22-7B2C-4652-AD4D-61DDB66192E4.jpeg
    FB70DD22-7B2C-4652-AD4D-61DDB66192E4.jpeg
    534 KB · Views: 80
  • BA72A430-D7D1-4229-8BA4-0A160E68CF54.jpeg
    BA72A430-D7D1-4229-8BA4-0A160E68CF54.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 80
  • E2CDE5F7-B084-4A73-BA31-1F72B1E80103.png
    E2CDE5F7-B084-4A73-BA31-1F72B1E80103.png
    9.9 MB · Views: 77
  • 8053F47B-0380-4798-B5AB-791E806F5C9A.jpeg
    8053F47B-0380-4798-B5AB-791E806F5C9A.jpeg
    297 KB · Views: 74

Sbirtell1

Perfect size to your baby. Abdomen is ideal. Try packing the substrate down a bit more to take the dirt off its bum. Pulchras like to dig--thus the debris.
Thank you so much! If it’s just substrate and it’s not hurting her I’ll try my best to pack it down. She’s either always hiding, or doing acrobats on the screen lid! Ty sm I appreciate all your help.

Jeef

3 Year Member
I give my G. pulchra 2 crickets a week and an occasional dubia roach to mix it up a bit.

Thing is, mine is a hog and will eat as much as you give her. We joke that she plays "chubby bunny" because she will stuff as many crickets into her mouth as she can get ahold of. I didn't think she could do four. She proved me wrong. She isn't very big either.

Sbirtell1

Looks quite healthy. Your feeding routine is doing her just fine. Her size suggests she may be closer to 3 years or more. They can be some pretty slow growers as slings. I have 2. They both like to move dirt around just for the sake of it.
I’ll just say she’s 3 then if anyone asks! Her birthday will be when I got her, so I’ll say she’s 4 later this year. Lol… and I’m glad it’s just dirt and not something I’m doing wrong. Thank you again!!!

Sbirtell1

I give my G. pulchra 2 crickets a week and an occasional dubia roach to mix it up a bit.

Thing is, mine is a hog and will eat as much as you give her. We joke that she plays "chubby bunny" because she will stuff as many crickets into her mouth as she can get ahold of. I didn't think she could do four. She proved me wrong. She isn't very big either.
I heard these babies are easy to gain weight, and be over weight. I saw one T with an abdomen rupture from over feeding and I wanted to cry! It Looked horrible. So I just want to keep her lean. Im sure they can eat more but im not going to have her prove me right! Lol

Sbirtell1

New world tarantulas have urticating hairs. They kick those urticating hairs in their abdomen as a way to defend themselves and ward of potential predators.
Oh ok! Ive only held her a few times, but when I do the hair looks like that! I always feed her first, wait a day and then hold her for like 3 minutes. Again, I’ve only held her a few times since I got her. She’s usually real chill and doesn’t move much. Do they do this with crickets or prey?

Attachments

• B11D0642-B868-413F-87AF-D4DE5624973A.jpeg
    B11D0642-B868-413F-87AF-D4DE5624973A.jpeg
    778.4 KB · Views: 21

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
There are seven types of urticating setae, and G. pulchra ( the Grammostola genus) have type IV, which are primarily effective against mammals. As well as flinging them, some tarantula species can line webbing with them as additional protective measure.

SmartSelect_20220116-040041_Chrome.jpg

This picture only includes six of the types.

Sbirtell1

There are seven types of urticating setae, and G. pulchra ( the Grammostola genus) have type IV, which are primarily effective against mammals. As well as flinging them, some tarantula species can line webbing with them as additional protective measure.

View attachment 63369
This picture only includes six of the types.
Thank you that’s very helpful! I posted a close up pic of her butt… is it dirt then or no?

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Yeah it kind of looks more like debris, as it doesn't look smooth as I might expect, although I have never examined a T butt up close. What looks smooth could be more rugged. Sort of like when you look at substrate. It looks smooth and mostly uniform from a distance, but close up there are tiny twigs, pebbles, debris. Sorry I can't be of better help.

20210901_095147.jpg

Sbirtell1

Yeah it kind of looks more like debris, as it doesn't look smooth as I might expect, although I have never examined a T butt up close. What looks smooth could be more rugged. Sort of like when you look at substrate. It looks smooth and mostly uniform from a distance, but close up there are tiny twigs, pebbles, debris. Sorry I can't be of better help.

View attachment 63383
No Dusty! That’s a lot of help. I appreciate it!!!