• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Grammostola Pulchra not eating, should I be concerned

Ditch crawler

Tarantula Club Member
Hi all,
My female Grammostola Pulchra hasn't eaten since 17th March, she molted perfectly fine on 26th May but has refused any food I've put in to the point where she actually backs away from it (Crickets, Red runners and mealworms), is this normal behaviour or something I should be concerned about ?, she seems to be well enough and moving around but has pretty much stayed deep in her burrow, she's always eaten well in the past and I haven't altered her enclosure in any way, any thoughts or comments would be much appreciated as always.

thanks DC

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
What size is your G. pulchra and what size prey are you offering? Sometimes, if they prey is too large they will refuse a feeding. Also, with slow growers, they may take their time (weeks to months) before actually feeding after a molt (I have aphonopelmas that have done this). Checking the molt to make sure the sucking stomach is still intact would also be good. Just a few things that may help.

Ditch crawler

Tarantula Club Member
What size is your G. pulchra and what size prey are you offering? Sometimes, if they prey is too large they will refuse a feeding. Also, with slow growers, they may take their time (weeks to months) before actually feeding after a molt (I have aphonopelmas that have done this). Checking the molt to make sure the sucking stomach is still intact would also be good. Just a few things that may help.

Hi Casey,
unfortunately I don't have her old molt, but I wouldn't know what to look for anyway, She's got a dls of about 4.5" at a guess, prey size, Medium crickets 15mm-20mm, red runners maybe 25mm (they don't stand still to be measured), meal worm standard size 25mm ish

Last night I put a cricket in and I can't see it this morning, without moving things about in the enclosure I cant be sure it's not been eaten, but I'll keep an eye on it today.

I expected her to be eating like a machine after her molt and with the warm UK weather.

Latest posts