• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Grammostla pulchra

Cy evans

Hello can some one tell me if it’s normal for my juvenile Brazilian black to cover the entrance of his hide I’ve only had him three days and only seen him once when I put him in his enclosure thank you

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi
Yes it is.
Often when introduced to new enclosures tarantulas feel unsecure and will seek tight spaces.This is especially true if introduced to oversised enclosure. .It will take time for your spider to settle in. Bigger the spider longer it ttakes.Just be patient and keep full waterdish in the enclosure it will come out when its ready.
Regards Konstantin

Cy evans

Hi
Yes it is.
Often when introduced to new enclosures tarantulas feel unsecure and will seek tight spaces.This is especially true if introduced to oversised enclosure. .It will take time for your spider to settle in. Bigger the spider longer it ttakes.Just be patient and keep full waterdish in the enclosure it will come out when its ready.
Regards Konstantin
Thank you very much getting worried I had done some thing wrong.because it’s my first tarantula thank you again

Cy evans

Thank you very much getting worried I had done some thing wrong.because it’s my first tarantula thank you again
Maybe your T in the beginning will stay barricated for a while. Dont worry. It will open and come out when ready. Thats why you can never have only one T:)
Thank you I am already thinking about getting a adult female Mexican red knee

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hello and welcome to the forum/family!
As said by many people it is completely normal. I also noticed that many of my Ts prefer to bunker themselves completely when preparing to molt. It would make sense for this behavior to be instinctive as it is when they are the most vulnerable.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
You are welcome.
Whatever bothers you just ask away.
It is normal for tarantulas to refuse food or go underground for extended periods of time.
Regards Konstantin
So how long should I leave live food out for my two Grammostola which are about 1.5" each and entrenched in their hideouts. I plan to feed them Friday afternoon/ evening.

This will be the third try in as many weeks for my G. Seemenomori (pulchripes)and second time for my Himalayanabouti (pulchra)

Earlier this week I found a cricket that had been in there for three days after it entered the hide of the G. pulchra. It may have come out a back entrance that was covered by spaghnum moss.

Konstantin

3 Year Member
So how long should I leave live food out for my two Grammostola which are about 1.5" each and entrenched in their hideouts. I plan to feed them Friday afternoon/ evening.

This will be the third try in as many weeks for my G. Seemenomori (pulchripes)and second time for my Himalayanabouti (pulchra)

Earlier this week I found a cricket that had been in there for three days after it entered the hide of the G. pulchra. It may have come out a back entrance that was covered by spaghnum moss.
Hi
leave pray for 24 h and take it outvif uneaten.
If there are hiding spaces for the feeders and your tarantula has refuced few meals you may try injured or prekilled pray too. That makes it easier to fish them out later if chances that they will be eaten a very slim.
My Grammostola pulchra and pulchripes both have been refusing food for over a month I tried prekilled the Pulchripes ate but pulcra refuced.They both are due a moult soon.
Regards Konstantin

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Ok thank you so much. Tried prekilled last week with one (cricket actually killed by accident) but not taken. So will try both ways for each.

Daily and overnight temperatures are warming up, so i am hoping that might prompt more activity.

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi
If they refuse is not biggie especially if the abdomen is good size.You gave them the option for your piece of mind.Haha.Try a week or two later and keep clean water available.
They know what they are doing.
As time goes by and they grow in your care you will get used to your individuals behaviours and quirks.
Regards Konstantin

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Thanks again @Konstantin I am impatient/overly worried at times, although i have resisted moving the hide. Just looking for a sign of life. Waving their butts at me mooning me would be great.

Latest posts