• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Grammastola rosea help

Kmilli

3 Year Member
Hi, I am not new to tarantula keeping however I am having issues with two Rosies that I take care of (I work at a small zoo). The keepers who previously took care of them were not feeding properly and were consistently removing webbing everyday. I have been there almost 4 months and these girls have not eaten nor molted. Nobody can even tell me the last time that they did. They are also very agitated tarantulas and are very defensive. My question is what should I be doing to help them?

Metalman2004

3 Year Member
For starters, if their abdomen is plump there is no need to fear about the feeding or lack thereof. G roseas have been known to fast for a year at a time.

If you can post pictures of their enclosures and of them I an sure the folks here can give you good pointers!

Kmilli

3 Year Member
That's good to know. Unfortunately I won't be able to post a picture of them or of their enclosure until after Halloween since they are being used for something in our haunted trail.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Your best bet would be to leave them alone for a while and settle in and acclimate. Especially if the previous keepers were disrupting their home every day. Depending on their size that may take a few weeks.

They like dry environments, but you can overflow the water dish once a week or so, let i completely dry before overflowing again. Like @Metalman2004 said these species are notorious for fasting for long periods for no reason (that we know of). I'd try feeding it once a week, remove the prey the following morning if it wasn't eaten.

Molts are farther spaced out the larger the T is. if they're adult sized (5-6" leg span, front to opposite back leg) it may be years between molts, give or take.

Pics and more data on their environment and maintenance will help to give better answers.

Latest posts