• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Got Some New Ones!

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
Half the fun of keeping tarantulas is sharing with other tarantula keepers. I've got some space in a friend's booth at the reptile show this weekend to sell my tortoises and roaches, and I went a little wild with some of the tarantula vendors. The roaches sell like hot cakes, and there is just no way for me to stand next to half a dozen tarantula vendors with a fat wad of cash from selling off surplus roaches that I would have given away for free, and not buy some. Just a few. Then a few more. Then I discovered Joe Rossi's table and just gave up on the whole self control thing…

I got:
1 1.5" freshly molted T. stirmi
1 tiny little B. albiceps
1 tiny little B. auratum
2 1" Davus pentoralis (Which were the hottest ones to transfer out of their little cups… WOW! are they fast!)
1 1" M. balfouri
1 3" P. rufilata
1 1.5" P. rufilata
1 2" P. ornata
2 1/2" G. pulchripes
2 1" B. vagans

All three pokies were quite cooperative with the move and gave me no trouble at all. Those damn D. pentoralis came out hot and ready for action. Got my adrenaline going, they did. And one of the B. vagans was the only one that turned around and bit the end of my paintbrush handle! Tomorrow I'll go back for M. robustum and E. cyanognathus, and my wish list will be complete!

I can't help but ponder the fact that all of these spiders were purchased with money that I got from selling the insects that I feed them. I can't explain why this is so amusing to me, but it really is.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Wow, what a great haul.:)
I agree that it does sound funny that feeders paid for them all, it made me chuckle too :D

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
I did a little better on Sunday. I only bought three more.
Another P. ornata.
E. cyanognathus
and a beautiful 2" M. robustum!

I haven't taken pics yet, but here is one of my new ones:
IMG_6499.JPG

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hopefully I'll be learning this lesson too as the months and years pass by.
It's when you are passive and dont expect a problem...that's when things go wrong quickly. They for the most part are pretty good though. Nice haul you got...can't wait for some more pics. I'm going to a show this weekend...I'll be leaving with a massive haul too.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
P ornata, P vittata and 3 other pokie species are banned from interstate sales after the 30th of this month so if you're interested in these, research then and act quickly.

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
I'm back from vacation and took some pics last night. Most of these are new species to me, so everyone please feel free to comment on my set ups and suggest improvements. I'm askin' for it!!!

All four new pokies unpacked fairly calmly, but 3 of the four are doing that teleprotation around the enclosure when I pick it up to do maintenance and feeding. WOW! These things are no joke. Here is the larger of my 2 new P. rufilata:
IMG_6525.JPG

IMG_6527.JPG

B. vagans:
IMG_6522.JPG

I was lucky to find a good sized T. stirmi. This guy/gal is almost 2", seen here eating an adult male B. lateralis:
IMG_6521.JPG

Scored on the Davus pentoralis too. Got two of them about 1.5". They were much calmer and acting like normal tarantulas when I opened the lid for feeding and maintenance, as compared to how crazy they were during unpacking:
IMG_6538.JPG

IMG_6539.JPG

Here is the larger P. rufilata:
IMG_6534.JPG

IMG_6536.JPG

Latest posts