• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Got Haired Last Night

Ratmosphere

3 Year Member
Last night my Brachypelma smithi starting running around its enclosure and flicked so many hairs at me. It went all in my nose and eyes and was extremely irritating. My eyes were itchy for about half an hour. This was the first time I was haired like this so I felt like I'd share.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Ouch. Luckily none of mine have ever got me but I've always thought wearing glasses may at least give some protection to my eyes.

leaveittoweaver

3 Year Member
Eek! I always try to not put my face over the enclosure. Don't know how much it helps but I like to think it does. I have yet to be haired.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My face is always right there when I open one. Just watch the spiders position, and for the love of god dont inhale. It's uncomfortable but not too bad, when you end up inhaling them. I guess my nose hair caught most of it. Lmao. I don't react badly to hairs though..mild itching for ten minutes..or Centruroides stings. Or yellow sac spiders. Some people are sensitive, some are Superkeepers...rofl

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have quite a strong reaction to their hairs. Investing in a box of latex gloves was the best thing I could do with them.
you'll need the yellow rubber kitchen/cleaning gloves. the larger hairs can go right through the latex surgical/food prep type. I got haired remixing the substrate in the A. chalcode's enclosure. Mixed more water in the sub doing a rehouse and learned not to do that with bare hands the hard way. So then i got those cool looking black latex painting gloves, they're a bit thicker than the typical blue or white food prep gloves, but not thick enough to keep the hairs out.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
you'll need the yellow rubber kitchen/cleaning gloves. the larger hairs can go right through the latex surgical/food prep type. I got haired remixing the substrate in the A. chalcode's enclosure. Mixed more water in the sub doing a rehouse and learned not to do that with bare hands the hard way. So then i got those cool looking black latex painting gloves, they're a bit thicker than the typical blue or white food prep gloves, but not thick enough to keep the hairs out.
Sounds like a perfect reason to go OW...:(

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Sounds like a perfect reason to go OW...:(
I use gloves now for any substrate changes, unless i'm just dumping it out and redoing the whole thing. I won't do OW because of the venom and my small dog. I'd hate to lose the dog because of a mistake of mine and then the T along with it.

Ratmosphere

3 Year Member
I use gloves now for any substrate changes, unless i'm just dumping it out and redoing the whole thing. I won't do OW because of the venom and my small dog. I'd hate to lose the dog because of a mistake of mine and then the T along with it.

Same here man.