• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Got 2 Amblypygi (tailless whip scorp's)

kylepeach

3 Year Member
FINALLY got my Amblypygi's. Damon diadema. 99% sure they're the Tanzanian type. I purchased a male and a female 2 days ago and finally finished their enclosure today. (I'll post pics after I rant a bit) lol.

I felt SO BAD for the community of the buggers when I went to the 'reptile store' to buy them. The enclosure they were in was absolutely NOT up to par with how these creatures should be housed. It was a terrestrial set up. VERY dry looking. Too much substrate. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO CLIMB ON, except for a turtle dome which they were all hiding under. They should know better, and if not, do a bit of research before your business gets a new species of arachnida.

(......They didn't even know how to tell female from male so I ended up teaching one of the associates, I was embarrassed.)

BLEH asdfhaskljdfha

Anyways. I don't blame them and I always shop there for dog food. And spider food. And now for Ambly food. And basically everything I can think of that helped me set up my enclosure for these Ambly's.... lol I'll even probably buy a few more if mine don't breed before that happens.

Last edited:

kylepeach

3 Year Member
BUT YEA.

They love their enclosure. So awesome to handle. A bit grumpy, they are, when I go in for the initial pick-up/scoop-up. I use my pointer and middle finger to touch against the backside of their pedipalps and they seem to relax a bit, it's quite odd/intriguing/interesting.

Probably the whole rehousing thing and getting settled in. They haven't eating any cricks yet, which I'm guessing it's to do with being rehoused in a CORRECT enclosure, haha ;)

kylepeach

3 Year Member
Oh yeah...

And the Male has an interesting "bulge" on it's abdomen down towards the rear. I took some pics to show you guys.

Either it's serious and I have no idea what it could be. Either it's last molting went bad and resulted in this weird bulge. Or it's something else.

kylepeach

3 Year Member
Enclosure. (Male - top left). Female is behind the log.

IMG_0067.JPG

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Fantastic, congrats. I love these. And yes, they're either diadema or variegatus(sp?) I dont see the lump but cant get the last set of pics to load. Bad wifi.

Latest posts