• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Good Morning from Bakersfield, CA

Good Morning from Bakersfield, CA.

My name is Fernando...

Due to YouTube and some uploads featuring T's watering and feeding. I've gotten the urge to join the T world community. I never thought of owning a T. In all honesty I assumed I couldn't afford to purchase or maintain one. Yet once I found out they use coir pith, peat moss, etc. as their substrate. I became very intrigued. Since at my work we use these raw materials to make potting soils, garden soils, topsoil, etc. The issue now was the price for a T. At least that was the issue until I learned about slings and there reasonable prices.

I was very close to making my 1st purchase this past Tuesday. Unfortunately right when I was about to checkout and complete my purchase (Jamie's Tarantulas). The website went into maintenance mode. There goes my chance to acquire the Brazilian White Knee Sling w/the terrestrial enclosure.

In the mean time I've just been gathering as much info on T's from websites like this one or by watching YouTube videos.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Can't wait for the day when I no longer have to google "Acanthoscurria geniculata" to know which T's there talking about...lol. Thanks
It takes afew months, but youll learn the scientific names. It makes it easier on you, and others, for identification. Welcome to TF, and the hobby. Any questions just ask.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I know this forum has an A geniculata loving fanclub. I just sold every tarantula I have left, including an adult female A geniculta ... except my Brachys, and one female juvinile A geniculata that I've watched grow from a sling, who once ambushed me when I opened her top. I inhaled the whole puffball..anyway, It goes without saying, I'm quite fond of her..the only genus besides Brachy sp. in my collection. I'm moving to reptiles and I just don't have the space..but..I miss my spiders already. Fk it I'm going to the liquor store..

Quick update -

Just placed an order for my 1st T's (Thanks to Seven Wonders). I'm a single father with 2 kiddos. Therefore I decided to go with 3 T's (my 8 yr old daughter is going to be pissed...she wanted a hamster). LoL

Nhandu chromatus (Brazilian Red & White) 1.5"

Acanthoscurria geniculata (Brazilian White Knee) 1.25"

Grammostola pulchripes (Chaco Golden Knee) .75"

Should get these beauties later this week. I just placed an order for some cork bark, tongs, glue gun & a temperature gauge. Stayed up last night making air holes in a few containers. Tomorrow I'll be able to get the substrate from work. After that i just need to visit my mom and grab myself some fake plant leaves. Find a place that sells feeders and patiently wait for my 1st ever T's. In the mean time I'll read, study (memorize scientific name) & watch (YouTube) every thing in regards to these T's.

Thanks for reading!

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Quick update -

Just placed an order for my 1st T's (Thanks to Seven Wonders). I'm a single father with 2 kiddos. Therefore I decided to go with 3 T's (my 8 yr old daughter is going to be pissed...she wanted a hamster). LoL

Should get these beauties later this week. I just placed an order for some cork bark, tongs, glue gun & a temperature gauge. Stayed up last night making air holes in a few containers. Tomorrow I'll be able to get the substrate from work. After that i just need to visit my mom and grab myself some fake plant leaves. Find a place that sells feeders and patiently wait for my 1st ever T's. In the mean time I'll read, study (memorize scientific name) & watch (YouTube) every thing in regards to these T's.

Thanks for reading!
Nice haul! A hamster, lol..just let her get attached to the spiders, and then explain that hamsters are food..she'll be a hobbyist in no time!

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Don't forget to get a Pamphobeteus species and a Lasiodora species as well!! :)

L klugi Justina at attention 2.jpg
P machala Persephone molted 6.jpg

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Quick update -

Thanks for reading!
Temperature gauge? Waste of money as they are unnecessary as most tarantulas will be just fine at room temperature. That money you used for a gauge, you could've used on another eight legged tank.

Temperature gauge? Waste of money as they are unnecessary as most tarantulas will be just fine at room temperature. That money you used for a gauge, you could've used on another eight legged tank.

The information I obtain on husbandry agrees with you. The only reason I went ahead and spent $4 on one - In Bakersfield it get's extremely Hot and in winter it get's somewhat cold. Many peeps mentioned "if your comfortable in your house, so is the tarantula". Unfortunately I hate being Hot (temperature wise, not looks) and comfortable for me is 65 degrees or cooler.

Garystarantulas2003

Good Morning from Bakersfield, CA.

My name is Fernando...

Due to YouTube and some uploads featuring T's watering and feeding. I've gotten the urge to join the T world community. I never thought of owning a T. In all honesty I assumed I couldn't afford to purchase or maintain one. Yet once I found out they use coir pith, peat moss, etc. as their substrate. I became very intrigued. Since at my work we use these raw materials to make potting soils, garden soils, topsoil, etc. The issue now was the price for a T. At least that was the issue until I learned about slings and there reasonable prices.

I was very close to making my 1st purchase this past Tuesday. Unfortunately right when I was about to checkout and complete my purchase (Jamie's Tarantulas). The website went into maintenance mode. There goes my chance to acquire the Brazilian White Knee Sling w/the terrestrial enclosure.

In the mean time I've just been gathering as much info on T's from websites like this one or by watching YouTube videos.
Welcome to tarantulaforum.com, if you have any questions feel free to ask.