• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Good idea?

Dratznkg

3 Year Member
I thought it might be cool to make a thread that will allow us all to become more acquainted. Im newer to the forum and have not made many post, or had many conversations. So i thought this could be a good way to start. So if you guys are down lets hear a little about each other. Ill start....

Nate- im a 25 year old male who lives in Ferguson Missouri, ive kept reptiles my whole life as well as your average domesticated house pets. Right now, not including my T's i have 12 reptiles and 3 cats. Animals have and always will be therapeutic for me (especially since the human species has evolved into greedy, judgemental, and deceitful beings). I volunteer at a wildlife sanctuary here in Missouri as well as an exotic pets shop/nursery. I am also someone who loves art. I have made art of all types my whole life, the mainstays being canvas art and wire wrapped/ custom jewelry envolving natural stones and minerals. I love crystals for their beauty and medicinal uses. A little under a year ago (after being extremely infatuated with the Tarantula/ Bird eating arachnids) i decided to get my first T. It became an addiction right away. I currently only own 7 T's but plan to get many more. I never get any animal that im not 100% sure i will be able to care for and give a good life. I would be happy to list my collection if i get any indication that people are reading or interested in this post. If you have actually managed to remain interested in this thread and have read all of it, then thank you!! Sorry for giving you my life story but i just wanted to give an example of what i would like to see in the replies. I would love to learn more about the fellow enthusiasts that i interact with on a daily basis. I actually do not know anyone in my area on a personal level that is as fascinated with this phylum of arachnid as i am, and look forward to sharing, recieving, and learning as much as possible on this forum. Thank you for taking your time to read this, and i hope to see some replies. :)))))

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Of course we are interested, I for one would like to know what your keeping.
I am an adult female with four grown children. Always been involved with animals of one sort or another. Owned a grooming/pet type shop for some years in Florida until circumstances forced me to stop. . Live in Alabama now. Small town in the Tuscaloosa area.
We are foster failures and have far to many animals 0.o. There's a list of my T's and pets on my profile.
I have always been both interested and fascinated with spiders and finally decided that as I wasn't getting any younger to throw caution to the winds and indulge myself. They are my therapy, my relaxation and sometimes my pride as well.
I keep a bit of everything old and new world and I enjoy them all. (My genic is my favorite tho)
I'm extremely eclectic, a gamer, adore music, don't watch TV and thank Goddess for the good things in my world. ^.~

Dratznkg

3 Year Member
Thank you for your reply! Kymura, (Wandering where you got your name). Right now the T's in my collection are

G. Rosea - Goldie - 1"sling
P. Cambridgi- Trina - juvi
A. Aviv- Moira - sub-adult
H. Longipes- Ursula - adult
P. Canceridies- Maroon - mature female
P. Murinus- Fauna - 1 1/2" sling
H. Lividum- Azula 3/4" sling

I'm also pretty stoked to be picking up 1 . P.irminias sling and 1 o. Aureo sling this weekend, I have the option of getting a p. Metallica in the same transaction but I am most likely going to wait on the p. Metallica.
So any advice I can receive as far as care and caution for these species would be appreciated. I'm aware the poecs are a zero tolerance species and do not plan to ever handle them. My job will be to provide them with the best living situation possible and make sure they remain a healthy weight. Using handle any of my T's really except the aavic and grosea. And that's Rarely. But that's another subject for another time.

What kind of music interests you? I also don't watch much tv except for criminal minds, documentaries, and I've watched Netflix New series "stranger things" like 3 or 4 times now lol. But yes I have to agree, my T's are my therapy, no matter how rough my day was, I always stay positive because I know I have the most beautiful and interesting family of animals at home waiting for me to be a weirdo and spy on them. So that keeps me focused on positive things. (Which is very important to me because I am a recovered heroin addict, and ever since I got back indicating for exotic animals and working with them I haven't touched a drug or drink!) Which is something I never thought I would be able to say, they just make me so much happier than any "high" ever has. I'm not as into gaming as much as I was before either but I go through binges. Fallout, the evil within, the suffering and a few others are my go tos. Lol I ended up writing another novel so I'm gonna start doing some more research on the slings I have coming and thank you for reading:)

Dratznkg

3 Year Member
Correction. The "p" in p. Irminia is for salmonella, there was a miscommunication but I'm glad I could correct it to avoid confusion

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thank you for your reply! Kymura, (Wandering where you got your name). Right now the T's in my collection are

G. Rosea - Goldie - 1"sling
P. Cambridgi- Trina - juvi
A. Aviv- Moira - sub-adult
H. Longipes- Ursula - adult
P. Canceridies- Maroon - mature female
P. Murinus- Fauna - 1 1/2" sling
H. Lividum- Azula 3/4" sling

I'm also pretty stoked to be picking up 1 . P.irminias sling and 1 o. Aureo sling this weekend, I have the option of getting a p. Metallica in the same transaction but I am most likely going to wait on the p. Metallica.
So any advice I can receive as far as care and caution for these species would be appreciated. I'm aware the poecs are a zero tolerance species and do not plan to ever handle them. My job will be to provide them with the best living situation possible and make sure they remain a healthy weight. Using handle any of my T's really except the aavic and grosea. And that's Rarely. But that's another subject for another time.

What kind of music interests you? I also don't watch much tv except for criminal minds, documentaries, and I've watched Netflix New series "stranger things" like 3 or 4 times now lol. But yes I have to agree, my T's are my therapy, no matter how rough my day was, I always stay positive because I know I have the most beautiful and interesting family of animals at home waiting for me to be a weirdo and spy on them. So that keeps me focused on positive things. (Which is very important to me because I am a recovered heroin addict, and ever since I got back indicating for exotic animals and working with them I haven't touched a drug or drink!) Which is something I never thought I would be able to say, they just make me so much happier than any "high" ever has. I'm not as into gaming as much as I was before either but I go through binges. Fallout, the evil within, the suffering and a few others are my go tos. Lol I ended up writing another novel so I'm gonna start doing some more research on the slings I have coming and thank you for reading:)
Greet summary. My turn...
I am a fully mature male (age not mentslity) with 4 daughters, 20 odd tropical fish and 50 Ts so far (more on the way). I have some similarities too with your story. I have run charity events for wildlife, been involved in rescuing wild animals and also run many a creepy crawly roadshow for local schools etc. I am a very frustrated artist mainly doing animal portraits on the side for a number of years but not done any of that for about 5 years now. I even did a spider portrait once.....lol
Your jewellery sounds really interesting maybe share some photos?
Great to have you on the forum buddy.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
OK you ready?
T's to date including names
tarantulas
Acanthoscurria geniculata-0.1.0~Mahtava ( <3<3<3 this girl)
Augacephalus ezendami-0.0.1~Shuqara
Aphonopelma anax --0.0.1 ~Nestly (our chocolate baby)
Aphonopelma hentzi--0.0.1 ~Mondo
Avicularia avicularia--0.1.1 ~Urchin & Kodama (urchin is special needs)
Avicularia versicolor--0.0.1 ~Kalipso
Brachypelma albopilosum--0.0.1 ~Zombie
Brachypelma emilia--0.0.1-Brimba (2nd meanest T I have lol)
Brachypelma vagans--0.0.1 ~Singe
Ceratogyrus DarlingI--0.0.1 ~Stiletto
Chromatopelma Cyaneopubescens-0.0.1~Mochima
Grammostola porteri--0.2.0~Yeti & Karma (you know what they say about Karma being a B?? Mmmm hmm THE meanest T I have)
Grammostola pulchra 0.0.1~Dorcha (already beautiful)
Grammostola pulchripes--0.0.2~Auric & Komorebi
Grammostola rosea--0.0.1~Blush (my little redheaded nosy pants)
Hapalopus sp Colombia--0.0.1~Goblin
Hapalopus sp. Colombia Small 0.1.0~Sally
Lasiodora parahybana--0.0.1 ~LaSombra
Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.1~Tazith
Neoholothele incei 0.0.4~Satu, Dua, Tiga & Empat
Neoholothele incei gold 0.0.1~Midas
Nhandu chromatus--0.0.1 ~Ghoul
Omothymus violaceopes-0.0.1~Kuala
Phrixotrichus scrofa 0.0.1~Fitz
Poecilotheria regalis 0.0.3~Isa, Dalawa & Tatlo
Psalmopoeus cambridgei--0.0.1~Enigma
Psalmopoeus irminia-0.0.2~Trigger, Glamor.
Pterinochilus murinus 0.0.1~Joltic
Thrixopelma ockerti--0.0.1 ~Amala (such a pretty T)
3 different types of Hissing roaches.

8 assorted dogs, 3 cats, one rabbit and two ferrets. Most but not all rescues.

OK let's see, The name came from a name I used as an alias online. Kymura Emberstone. It's usually that or Tansikat Tansiwolf or mama-wolf.
Music..I don't love rap or jazz..everything else is great. My music lists are a conglomeration of my likes with no apologies. I'm old, not dead and my house vibrates at times with music :)
Have a special fondness for Halestorms 'I like it heavy' right now I'm listening to AWOLNATION. Just a mix of tunes by them I like.

We are fallout fans for sure. Played every fallout including damn tactics lol
Currently playing a few older games simply because I enjoy them. Running two Ark servers at the moment. :p
I jump on wow from time to time and used to spend time on second life.
Have a lot of physical problems so don't play shooters anymore. Gaming community name is VenoMiss, usually just Veno. co-leader of Extortion Gaming for years, Extortion was formally known as (FM) (flak monkeys lol)
Anyway. I'm ordinary, usually friendly, have a few pet peeves as everyone does. Usually though I'm fairly good natured. :)
Top of my steam list
image.png

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hello darlin'! My name is Casey. I didn't get into tarantulas until I was 23 years old (33 now). My first two were G. rosea. I have grown in the hobby and have learned quite a bit since then. I love to share knowledge and encourage those that love critters to join a hobby that suits their interest(s). I am an Ellie Mae Clampit by heart. I love animals (horses and tarantulas are my fave!). I enjoy mud slingin', deer huntin' (for food- not sport), going to the mountains and eating Talenti chocolate almond coconut gelato. :) I love nature. I love meeting new people and I enjoy a good challenge every day! :). Welcome to the hobby, friend!

Last edited:

Telson

3 Year Member
Im Waylon, aka MassExodus, aka Telson. I have around 100 and something tarantulas, scorpions, amblypigids and 7 roach colonies. 3 dogs, two street puppies and a English Bull Terrier, Piggy, who has magical powers. And three horses. And two cats. I collect guns, knives and my newest obsession, custom made katanas with folded, tempered, very sharp blades. Beauties..everything listed is beautiful, actually..even the roaches:)

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Im Waylon, aka MassExodus, aka Telson. I have around 100 and something tarantulas, scorpions, amblypigids and 7 roach colonies. 3 dogs, two street puppies and a English Bull Terrier, Piggy, who has magical powers. And three horses. And two cats. I collect guns, knives and my newest obsession, custom made katanas with folded, tempered, very sharp blades. Beauties..everything listed is beautiful, actually..even the roaches:)
I must say, I love your name. I'm really into Waylon Jennings. Country girl at heart...love the old school country music artists.

Dratznkg

3 Year Member
@Kymura- It sounds like you've put in a ton of game play time, I wish j had the attention span fir that. I normally play for a little bit then get some inspiration from the game for something else and jump on that. If your into awolnation I would check out a band called stateless, they are one of my favorites right now. Also check out silversun pickups they have always been a favorite of mine.

@Phil- I envy your opportunities in a good way. It is a dream of minerals to go to schools and even hospitals or foster homes and educate people on the more uncommon captive animals. Alot of fear towards some of my favorite animals is based on nothing but lack of education and I feel if we can help to educate and inform the beauty and importance of these animals it could help spark passion in the youth as well as adults towards these awsome creatures. I also have always loved the beauty of water life, especially ocean life. I plan on having a saltwater aquirium someday where I grow my own coral and can observe the inhabitants just as I do my T's.

@Kasey k- I absolutely love horses. They are some if the most beautiful and majestic animals that have ever graced my presence. Unfortunately where I live it's about a 45 min. Drive anywhere that I could be able to ride a horse. But since it is coming up on fall. (Actually today is the first day of fall, my favorite month:)) there will be a few stables in the surrounding area that I will be able to ride the trails of and enjoy the horses they keep there.

@Telson- Lol don't worry buddy you aren't the only one, I get very interested with the roach colonies and how easy they actually are to establish and maintain. So much better than crickets imo. I used to have quite the knives collection but lost it due to some unforseen unfortunates.

Thank you to everyone for replying and allowing me to pick your brains a little. The one thing I love most about this hobby (besides the beautiful T's themselves) is how I have yet to come across anyone who was unwilling to share information or answer my questions. Not to say there isnt your occasional a**hat, but thats with everything. We all have to have each others backs and make sure that we are helping each other in whatever ways we can. We all have a special appriciation for something that is concidered to be crazy by most. Lol really, where I live I am considered crazy for my fascination with arachnids, and even my reptiles are viewed as "evil" you would think we were living in the days of the carrier pigeon lol.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@Kymura- It sounds like you've put in a ton of game play time, I wish j had the attention span fir that. I normally play for a little bit then get some inspiration from the game for something else and jump on that. If your into awolnation I would check out a band called stateless, they are one of my favorites right now. Also check out silversun pickups they have always been a favorite of mine.

@Phil- I envy your opportunities in a good way. It is a dream of minerals to go to schools and even hospitals or foster homes and educate people on the more uncommon captive animals. Alot of fear towards some of my favorite animals is based on nothing but lack of education and I feel if we can help to educate and inform the beauty and importance of these animals it could help spark passion in the youth as well as adults towards these awsome creatures. I also have always loved the beauty of water life, especially ocean life. I plan on having a saltwater aquirium someday where I grow my own coral and can observe the inhabitants just as I do my T's.

@Kasey k- I absolutely love horses. They are some if the most beautiful and majestic animals that have ever graced my presence. Unfortunately where I live it's about a 45 min. Drive anywhere that I could be able to ride a horse. But since it is coming up on fall. (Actually today is the first day of fall, my favorite month:)) there will be a few stables in the surrounding area that I will be able to ride the trails of and enjoy the horses they keep there.

@Telson- Lol don't worry buddy you aren't the only one, I get very interested with the roach colonies and how easy they actually are to establish and maintain. So much better than crickets imo. I used to have quite the knives collection but lost it due to some unforseen unfortunates.

Thank you to everyone for replying and allowing me to pick your brains a little. The one thing I love most about this hobby (besides the beautiful T's themselves) is how I have yet to come across anyone who was unwilling to share information or answer my questions. Not to say there isnt your occasional a**hat, but thats with everything. We all have to have each others backs and make sure that we are helping each other in whatever ways we can. We all have a special appriciation for something that is concidered to be crazy by most. Lol really, where I live I am considered crazy for my fascination with arachnids, and even my reptiles are viewed as "evil" you would think we were living in the days of the carrier pigeon lol.
That are lots of pigeon fancier forums too....lmao.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
That are lots of pigeon fancier forums too....lmao.
I used to own a pigeon as a child. I was about 14 years old. She was so pretty....blue & purple iridescence in her feathers. I named her Ginger. One day I tried to train her. I was letting her fly from my arm back to her cage. When she did it I would take a step back each time. I started out at about 3 feet from her cage and ended up at about 12ft before she flew and landed on top of my house. That was the last time I seen her. I wasn't too disappointed, though, because to me, even though they are good pets, she is a bird and meant to fly- be free.....not be put in a cage. So, I had a positive way of thinking about it that day. I loved her and it kinda broke my heart because she was free but then I thought about how I would feel if I were cooped up in a cage all the time..... :)

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I used to own a pigeon as a child. I was about 14 years old. She was so pretty....blue & purple iridescence in her feathers. I named her Ginger. One day I tried to train her. I was letting her fly from my arm back to her cage. When she did it I would take a step back each time. I started out at about 3 feet from her cage and ended up at about 12ft before she flew and landed on top of my house. That was the last time I seen her. I wasn't too disappointed, though, because to me, even though they are good pets, she is a bird and meant to fly- be free.....not be put in a cage. So, I had a positive way of thinking about it that day. I loved her and it kinda broke my heart because she was free but then I thought about how I would feel if I were cooped up in a cage all the time..... :)
If you love them, let them fly......☺
Ts are cooped up in a cage too....lmao. Try letting an OBT out, stand back about 3 feet.......and then RUN!!!!! Ha ha ha

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
If you love them, let them fly......☺
Ts are cooped up in a cage too....lmao. Try letting an OBT out, stand back about 3 feet.......and then RUN!!!!! Ha ha ha
Now, I would give ANYTHING to get a video of YOU doing that, Phil......so I can put it on YouTube!!!!! Lmao!!!

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
No chance! I was in a panic running round the bedroom naked looking for Genie (not a pretty sight ;)).....It has yaken me over 20years to get my first OBT.....Lmao.

Telson

3 Year Member
I must say, I love your name. I'm really into Waylon Jennings. Country girl at heart...love the old school country music artists.
Agreed :) Old country is the only country music I'll listen too. All the new stuff seems unappealing to me. Anyway, my dad met Waylon long before he was famous, playing in a small honkeytonk, and was a fan the rest of his life :)

Redacted

3 Year Member
Agreed :) Old country is the only country music I'll listen too. All the new stuff seems unappealing to me. Anyway, my dad met Waylon long before he was famous, playing in a small honkeytonk, and was a fan the rest of his life :)
To that end, the great Jean Shepard passed today.

Latest posts