• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Good Dwarf Tarantula?

mason4290

First off, I am new to this forum so I put it here because I do not know where else too. Also, this would be a first time owner of a tarantula.

I am looking to get a tarantula. Being a little uncomfortable with them, I am looking for a dwarf species. I want a smaller one but I have a few questions. I am not finding the internet very helpful so I would like to ask directly.

Which one would be the easiest to take care of? I have a small apartment, so I am looking for something that is alright with room temperature because I live in a cooler climate (Michigan). Low maintenance is better for me as I am still in school. Also, if you suggest a tarantula, please also give some tips for it, IE what its enclosure should look like, water bowl, types of food.

Thanks in advanced, I am excited to possible become an owner!

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Phrixotrichus scrofa "Chilean copper"
20180512_184810.jpg

As you can see they dont get that big. This is a mature female...shes a total sweetheart.
20180512_184604.jpg
Not a threat posture...shes waiting for her roach. :p
Dry substrate...I've got a hide but she doesnt use it, shes out all the time. I use a condiment cup for a water dish. She eats two large roaches every two weeks. I keep her at mid 70s year round. I was keeping her in a plastic shoe box enclosure. But I just rehoused her into a 8x8x8 exoterra.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hello and welcome.
A small T that I'd recommend is the Dolichothele diamantinensis. It grows to around 3" and is a very colourful NW species. Give it a small piece of plastic plant and a water bowl and watch it fill the container with web but unlike many heavy webbers it will sit on top in full view most of the time.

DSCF9297 (2).JPG

Lady J

Cyriocosmus Bertae (peruvian dwarf beauty) also makes a very good beginner dwarf tarantula. They grow very fast and are docile, max size is 2.5-3" leg span. Husbandry is the same as any hardy terrestrial tarantula, dry substrate, a hide, water dish and your good to go. As a sling just keep the substrate slightly moist and don't fret if you end up with a pet hole at first. That changes as they get older. They sport a cute little heart on their rump :)

cbertae.jpg

Latest posts