• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Goliath hurt

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
Last week my female burgundy Goliath, RAMBO, molted out of the blue.....she’s big, at least 10”+ she hasn’t moved much. Cleaning her enclosure I noticed an issue with her right side both book lungs. The rearmost one has a white chalky substance on the edges, like coming out of it...very little. The one closest to her carapace has a growth that looks like a scab sticking out of it. She’s crawling, not walking normal, kinda rubbing the problem side on the ground. She snagged the scab looking one on her cork bark home and it poured hemolymph out, like a faucet.
Her having 1” fangs, and bleeding, I didn’t wanba handle her, but I grabbed her and placed her softly on her big web mat. It’s not looking good. I wonder if it was a bad molt and something happened with her book lungs in the process.
I’m sad as hell, and don’t think there’s anything at all I can do for her.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
fingers crossed for the big girl. Any updates? @Arachnoclown advice is spot on and the best you can do to attempt to stem the flow.

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
She is laying in the same spot I left her in.... the flow stopped but I don’t think it’s good. I mean how is a bleed from the book lungs gonna fix itself?

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
All one can do is hope. Not had any experience of that particular type of injury. Try drops of water on the fangs if needed to help with any rehydration, is the only other advice I can offer.

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
Thx all. I had her forever and watched her grow into a living monster. IDK how, but I hope she makes it. In a day or 2 I’m gonna make her cricket soup n see if she will eat, bc she aint moving and it’s been almost 2 weeks since her molt. Losing all that hemolymph.... have to get her some fluids

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Do you have access to hornworms??? They are really high in water content with some protein. Easy for her to kill too without struggling.

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
Do you have access to hornworms??? They are really high in water content with some protein. Easy for her to kill too without struggling.
I do. I made her some cricket soup in a thin saucer, and slid it under her and she tried to crawl(struggling) away with no interest in the food at all. Usually any movement around her and she would sound like a demonic baby rattle attacking, but now nothing. It’s sad to watch. She ain’t right

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I do. I made her some cricket soup in a thin saucer, and slid it under her and she tried to crawl(struggling) away with no interest in the food at all. Usually any movement around her and she would sound like a demonic baby rattle attacking, but now nothing. It’s sad to watch. She ain’t right
Sorry Bro...hope she bounces back for you.

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
Her 2 right side problem book lungs are blocked up. The one where the hemolymph poured out now has “scabbed” over and is pretty much sealed over. The other one looks sealed over as well. Idk what to do about that, if I should risk trying to clear them up. Maybe leave the one that hemmoraged alone but try to clear the other one with water and a q tip. Idk if she can survive with blocked book lungs. She still ain’t moving

Logan D

3 Year Member
im going to agree with ac and plus doing that would only stress her out more than she already is and you could cause an infection in her book lung by trying to clear it just keep giving her drops of water and making sure shes in good ventilation with the correct humidity and temps im guessing that shes a wild caught stirmi they don't do well in captivity

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
im going to agree with ac and plus doing that would only stress her out more than she already is and you could cause an infection in her book lung by trying to clear it just keep giving her drops of water and making sure shes in good ventilation with the correct humidity and temps im guessing that shes a wild caught stirmi they don't do well in captivity
Yea, but I’ve had her since she was very small with never a single problem ever.... no molting issues, no nothing. It’s weird this suddenly happened.
I’ll try n feed her by sliding cricket gumbo under her tmoro

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
If she molted a week ago she wont eat. I've got two 10" females and the dont eat for a month after molting. Just make sure she has water close by.

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
907B498E-6613-42B0-A0EF-0DD7D4C5E8E4.jpeg
It’s been over 2 weeks. My other ones always wait to eat but since the beginning she always had an appetite 2 weeks after at most. It’s kinda why I kno she’s not right, lol. Today I took her out, put her in a container, brushed the corn starch off her, cleaned her enclosure and laid some fresh warm-damp substrate down for her.
She’s not crawling like a zombie anymore, but her 2 rearmost legs on the problem side are weak. She can barely move em to flick. I brushed some water on her fangs and she’s completely disinterested.
Here she is..... u can kind of see the white ish scab in her book lung.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Honestly I wouldn't try feeding her...she looks to be plenty fat as it is. Feeding her more will only stretch the inflicted area prolonging the healing. Just my thoughts.

Latest posts