• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Goliath Bird Eater diet

StoptheInsanity

3 Year Member
I have a T. Blondi, approx. 7", and a Pinkfoot Goliath, approx. 6"...What should their feeding schedule consist of at these sizes?...Do they really have to have pinky mice twice a month?...In posts I've read, I've been advised to stay away from anole lizards, of which, we have an abundance...No one will ship me roaches (FL), so that I can start a colony...Someone else said they raise frogs for them?...I don't understand the reason why no lizards, but frogs are OK...What should I do?...Any advice would be appreciated...Thanks

Tara Russell

3 Year Member
Why not feed them large crickets? Have you tried looking roaches for sell in FL? Oh my god no don't give them frogs some frogs are toxic

MatthewM1

3 Year Member
Non native roaches are illegal in FL. Anoles are a no no because wild prey can contain any number of parasites/ diseases. And besides the risk of toxins it will cost much more to feed the baby frogs than it would to just feed extra crickets. No they do not have to have pinkie mice. Superworms are also a good sized alternative

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Not a fan of feeding vertebrates primarily due to the mess with the substrate. I have both species and have never had to feed them anything other than insects. All are doing great. I do occasionally feed them hornworm caterpillars which really fill them up. I feed them the largest crickets I can find as well. Also have tried large Dubias but you need to hand feed (with tweezers please :eek:) but they never really took to them surprisingly. Every spider is different though so you may want to give it a try?

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Oops. Missed the Florida thing. Correct. Dubias won't work for you.

StoptheInsanity

3 Year Member
Not a fan of feeding vertebrates primarily due to the mess with the substrate. I have both species and have never had to feed them anything other than insects. All are doing great. I do occasionally feed them hornworm caterpillars which really fill them up. I feed them the largest crickets I can find as well. Also have tried large Dubias but you need to hand feed (with tweezers please :eek:) but they never really took to them surprisingly. Every spider is different though so you may want to give it a try?

Appreciate your answer, as I have read countless advice re: their care...I was ready to buy a pair of mice...Anyway, They are now getting Superworms and Crickets, both gut loaded well...However, I'm still curious about the calcium thing... Why do people sprinkle worms with calcium powder before feeding, but the anoles have too much calcium, and why are frogs OK and easier to digest than anoles?...I wish I knew those answers...

Last edited:

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That is the best part of our hobby. We are all still learning. If my T. blondi was not doing well, I would try vertebrates but have not had a need as of yet. Back in the day, I used to feed reptiles and small birds to the bird eaters and cannot say any of that made a difference. Temperature, Humidity, and diet are always a balance but with the T. blondi my experiences have shown that humidity is the key. A varied diet of different fo0ds is a plus but a full abdomen is key. They are amazing T's as I have seen mine pound three large crickets simultaneously even though they have two fangs. Fascinating. The calcium powder is a waste IMHO if you are gut feeding with calcium rich foods prior to feeding. That is reptile stuff (and more likely marketing stuff). If she will eat frogs and anoles, then that is all good. Just not necessary.

StoptheInsanity

3 Year Member
That is the best part of our hobby. We are all still learning. If my T. blondi was not doing well, I would try vertebrates but have not had a need as of yet. Back in the day, I used to feed reptiles and small birds to the bird eaters and cannot say any of that made a difference. Temperature, Humidity, and diet are always a balance but with the T. blondi my experiences have shown that humidity is the key. A varied diet of different fo0ds is a plus but a full abdomen is key. They are amazing T's as I have seen mine pound three large crickets simultaneously even though they have two fangs. Fascinating. The calcium powder is a waste IMHO if you are gut feeding with calcium rich foods prior to feeding. That is reptile stuff (and more likely marketing stuff). If she will eat frogs and anoles, then that is all good. Just not necessary.

I ground up (I have chickens and rabbits) Layena chicken pellets, Purina rabbit pellets, some high protein Calf Manna, and some dog food for the crickets and superworms, plus my crickets get potato and greens...All my largest T's have had at least one anole during the past six months without problems...That is, those that would eat them...My Curved horned Baboon has refused three offers so far...I keep a record of when they eat a lizard, so I don't give too many...I planned on two a year...Haven't tried a frog as yet...

Sabeth

3 Year Member
Hornworms, really??? Wow, if I had a Birdeater what a way to get rid of the hornworms that we find on our tomato plants! (We don't use any chemicals on our plants.) But our chickens get them, so it's not a lost cause altogether. ;)

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
They are not cheap to buy either. They grow so rapidly that they only really have about a two week food value for the T's. But they do fill the abdomens nicely.

bestco

3 Year Member
Hi I have a 6 inch t-blondi had her from a sling, as for feeding her, her diet is 7 large locust a week, and once every 6 weeks she has a house gekko, never refused a meal until near a moult

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi bestco. Welcome aboard! How long have you had her? I am going to have to up my game! Wow, that is a lot of locusts! Do you feed them at one time or several times per week?

StoptheInsanity

3 Year Member
Hi bestco. Welcome aboard! How long have you had her? I am going to have to up my game! Wow, that is a lot of locusts! Do you feed them at one time or several times per week?

Aren't locusts seasonal...I've finally settled on crickets and superworms, and an anole every few months, though I may raise my own maggots...Out of clean stuff...Rabbit droppings...Years ago, when I caught rabbit droppings in a plastic container, within a few days I would find discusting maggots in the mix...Now I saw on a dirty jobs show that that's the best way to raise maggots to feed your pets...So now I'm going to try to get those fresh maggots on purpose!...I'll let you know...

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Aren't locusts seasonal...I've finally settled on crickets and superworms, and an anole every few months, though I may raise my own maggots...Out of clean stuff...Rabbit droppings...Years ago, when I caught rabbit droppings in a plastic container, within a few days I would find discusting maggots in the mix...Now I saw on a dirty jobs show that that's the best way to raise maggots to feed your pets...So now I'm going to try to get those fresh maggots on purpose!...I'll let you know...
Yuck. Hate maggots! That is a "dirty job" :eek:

StoptheInsanity

3 Year Member
As to "yuck" I definately agree...But there is something clean about rabbit droppings...It's all from earthy stuff...Anyway, on the dirty jobs show, that's how they raise maggots to sell to people with lizards etc....I really thought that it was good info...

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Okay, one question I must ask: How do you separate the maggots from the rabbit poop?

Latest posts