• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Gold Rush

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi all,

Just found a source for H. incei and hey, they can be kept communally. But before doing that, I would just like to solicit for your honest opinions guys. What do you think about the pros and cons of H. incei communal setups?

Thanks for all info you can give. :)

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
When I got my 3 I looked into communal keeping but decided against it as there is so much risk of cannibalism and I couldn't bear that. I had also read that it would only work for a year or so before males had to be separated. I did lose 1 of mine anyway but now have 2 beautiful almost adults.

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Been researching also and I've read that cannibalism can be prevented as well as the establishment of territories. I think it is another level in this hobby when you try to observe a cycle of the growth stages of our beloved Ts: from slings to another generation of slings. However, I will try to be a keeper first before becoming a scientist. ;)

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Communal setups have to be huge to lower the risk of them eating each other. So that takes up a ton of room. plus it just isnt worth the risk to me to loose a spider....but to each is own i guess.

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Contrary to that, I've read that they need small enclosures...

"KEY TO STARTING A COMMUNAL SETUP
The key to keeping tarantulas together, that has communal tendency, is to have a small enclosure so they are always in contact with each other. Remember, if you give them too much space they will become territorial, then cannibalism will happen. If you keep them in close proximity of each other and feed them regular, the casualties should be minimal, if any. If one of them separate from the group, it would be best to remove that individual to another terrarium."
---from Mike's Basic Tarantula

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
hmmm....come across other info. sounds like someone needs to do more experimenting. and publishing....not me though. lol

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
well now I am totally confused, first you read give them areas to make their own territory in, then you read nope, keep them cozy,
no wonder the vast majority of these things fail, no one really knows what to do :(

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
well thats the thing. no one really knows how to keep them like that. In the wile they are spread out...that seems the natural way to me. but the only way to find things out like that r to experiment. and if u do decide to try something like this u should document everything since u r pretty much blazing new trails.

micheldied

3 Year Member
I've seen both types of setups work with N. incei, cramped to force them together (like you would with less-communal species; e.g. Pokies) and very roomy. I've also heard of both types of setups failing.

It really seems to be hit or miss from the experiences I've read and been told of. Some start eating each other right away, others last many years with cannibalism only occurring when the population gets too large.

Regardless, it is something I would love to attempt myself, with either N. incei or a Heterothele species, and will definitely be doing with M. balfouri in the future once I'm done buying a few species I want but don't own yet.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Well i mean its in their nature. we already know they eat each other in the wild so no matter what kind of communal setup u give them, they r going to eat each other, just a matter of time...just a practice in futility if u ask me.

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
well now I am totally confused, first you read give them areas to make their own territory in, then you read nope, keep them cozy,
no wonder the vast majority of these things fail, no one really knows what to do :(
Must be the wording, I meant to say prevent the establishing of territories as when the do that, they become territorial and attacks when their space is violated. I guess. ;) :D

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Well i mean its in their nature. we already know they eat each other in the wild so no matter what kind of communal setup u give them, they r going to eat each other, just a matter of time...just a practice in futility if u ask me.
It is an experiment after all, I mean to record and gather data and stuff. No experiment is futile in my opinion, just like there are no stupid questions. ;)

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@RedCapTrio Wasn't finding fault, and understood what you said :p
Just so much conflicting information out there its mind boggling
I doubt I'm ever going to keep any of them communal,
I get way to attached to take the chance of losing them ^.~

Last edited:

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Just don't want to be the source of your confusion. :D

What makes me think of communal is my background I guess. I am into planted tanks and aquascaping before I kept Japanese kois. I love to see the fishes in their natural habitat or just a slice of it and see them interacting with what's around them. Then breeding and thriving with little outside help as much as possible. And reach many generations.

I just might make an overblown vivarium one of these days and keep a food chain in there with Ts as the top predators. ;)

micheldied

3 Year Member
Just don't want to be the source of your confusion. :D

What makes me think of communal is my background I guess. I am into planted tanks and aquascaping before I kept Japanese kois. I love to see the fishes in their natural habitat or just a slice of it and see them interacting with what's around them. Then breeding and thriving with little outside help as much as possible. And reach many generations.

I just might make an overblown vivarium one of these days and keep a food chain in there with Ts as the top predators. ;)

There is a guy on AB who specializes in communals, and he makes beautiful planted vivariums (and sells them). He's been successful with N. incei, several Heterothele species, M. balfouri, and the Chicken Spider.