• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Girls on top ;)

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
So today I introduced a male M. Balfouri into my females enclosure. I "shark tanked" him. When I went to check on all my spiders earlier today, I found my female sat on top of his tank not knowing whether she was taking the lead, was hungry and saw him as a tasty treat, or just wanting something a little more platonic and be "friends" (like all the women who I meet :(.LOL)

Anyways, the wonderful @Casey K. has kindly suggested that I just let him in there with her, so that's tomorrow morning's plan.

I will.keep you all posted!

Here she is on top of the enclosure the male is in....hence the "Girls on top" post :Do_O:D
20180902_164938.jpg

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm sure you fed them well Phil, just throw him in there. There comes a time in a tarantulas life when boys have to be men. Pop your titty out of his mouth and let him be a man! hehe
LOL....he is in..just staying in the corner where his tank was. not seen the femalenyet today. maybe she is just taking her time. It is her first date after all...:D. So just heavy petting on the first date otherwise I will be having words with her!!!!

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
LOL....he is in..just staying in the corner where his tank was. not seen the femalenyet today. maybe she is just taking her time. It is her first date after all...:D. So just heavy petting on the first date otherwise I will be having words with her!!!!
Oh believe me, if she's too far into her molt cycle, you'll see some heavy slapping, not petting. My female Lp slapped my male away 3 times before she molted. A month later, she accepted him. And he did the job. And she sat around eating and got huge, and then molted again..it can be frustrating, but keep trying until you get it right! I'd buy some balfouri slings from you, despite having sold almost all my tarantula sp. I like them, and never got one..

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Oh believe me, if she's too far into her molt cycle, you'll see some heavy slapping, not petting. My female Lp slapped my male away 3 times before she molted. A month later, she accepted him. And he did the job. And she sat around eating and got huge, and then molted again..it can be frustrating, but keep trying until you get it right! I'd buy some balfouri slings from you, despite having sold almost all my tarantula sp. I like them, and never got one..
Just to keep you updated mass....she moulted!!!! Male is still around so waiting for her to fatten up a bit and ding ding, seconds out, round 2 ;)

Metalman2004

3 Year Member

An LP that didn’t instantly drop a sac with thousands of slings?! I didn’t know that LPs were able to molt our (sarcasm... :)).

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
update.....
The original pairing was cut short when the female moulted after spider nookie. I was feeding all my Ts on Sunday when the female came out of her burrow obviously feeling a bit randy as this happened....
20181209_183027.jpg

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
How refreshingly honest!!

In all seriousness, I have to do this species again. My female passed away from fecal impaction.

I'm thinking about a communal with 3 of them in maybe a 5 gallon.

With those, there's always people interested in them.

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Shame on the loss of your female ;-(
more people need to keep these beauties-@phil is doing a great job by the look of it-the guy knows his stuff;)

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
There was also a lot of hidden mold in the enclosure. While I can't prove it, I think the mold might've caused her to get blocked up. She was webbing a lot and was reluctant to go into the burrow.

All that extra activity might've caused the blockage. I switched to peat for all but my dry tarantulas.