• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Girlfriends birthday present

sym

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi guys/girls.
As the title says its my girlfriends birthday coming up next month. (30)
She has been keeping cats now for 7 years and owns 2 cats they are brother and sister (scampi/makeral)So this got me thinking about maybe getting her a new cat for her birthday . But I don't want to get her just a normal cat so I've been looking into diffrent breeds and came across a Norwegian forest cat..
image.jpg

Might be going on the weekend to look at a male Norwegian forest cat..
Males can grow to 12kg!!!!
What do you think???

Thanks for stopping by
Sym

Last edited:

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Great choice. I used to know someone who kept them and yes they do get huge but lovely cats.

sym

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi Enn49.
The above picture I got off the internet. But the 1 we are going to see is silver.. My girlfriend is so excited lol

Sym

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
If we'd ever decided to get a cat I'd love a Somali or a Savannah.
That said, the Norwegians are very gorgeous cats.

sym

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi Fuzzball79.
If I had the money and the space for 1 I would have a f1 Savannah . But I don't so a Norwegian forest cat it is then ;) lol
I'm looking forward to introducing our male cat to a male kitten. I don't think his gonna be happy.. But you never know I'm hoping it's going to change him cause he can be a right grumpy bugger...

We looked into a Bengal but heard to many stories of them being a bit to wild and unpredictable . Lovely markings thou.

Sym

Last edited:

swimbait

3 Year Member
How old are the two cats you guys have already? I have heard many cases of a third cat being introduced and it being picked on, and isolated from the other cats. Just letting you know to watch them closely when you first get the new addition!

sym

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi swinbait.
They are brother and sister I belive they are 7 years old.cheers for the info !. We didn't go on the weekend due to a 400 mile round trip and really bad wind. (No me the weather lol )
We missed out on the silver male :(
But I'm just waiting to put a deposit down on a smoked male Norwegian forest cat.. Should look something like this..
image.jpg

My girlfriend has named it already and we haven't got it yet lol.. The kitten is 3 weeks old so won't be getting it if we do for another 10 weeks..
10 weeks of my girlfriend being excited !! (Can't wait) on the other hand I could end up with more T's in the house!!
So not all bad ;-)

Sym

swimbait

3 Year Member
Hopefully all goes well, it should. I have just heard of quite a few cases similar to yours where the new cat gets picked on by the older two. Its also more common when the other 2 have been raised together. I have also heard of a couple situations where one of the older cats sides with the new cat, and then they pick on the other older one. I am in vet tech school by the way, so these are just stories from the streets. Another common one is a family has one old cat, and then they decide its time for 2 kittens, then they pick on the older cat. Aside from these I have heard of more success stories than not, but it isn't rare to see these things happen either. Just observes your previous cats closely for changes in behavior once the new one arrives. Beautiful breed of cat though!! Good luck with your cat and excited for 10 weeks girlfriend :D

sym

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi swimbait.
I've heard these stories to on the Internet . we did talk to the breeder and she mentioned a male would be better than a female for our situation . Just 10 weeks to go..
She is excited !!! I am to but I won't go on about it for ten weeks lol

Sym

Charmyknux

3 Year Member
Norwegian forest cats are Awesome!! I have a brother and sister (sadly only half "Wegie") and they are the coolest.
They definitely require some extra brushing :)
You will have to keep us posted.
Here are my two half-wegies
Sister Wanda and brother Cosmo

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1421298829465.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1421298829465.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 12
  • uploadfromtaptalk1421298917675.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1421298917675.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 11
  • uploadfromtaptalk1421299004502.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1421299004502.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
  • uploadfromtaptalk1421299056744.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1421299056744.jpg
    414.7 KB · Views: 8

swimbait

3 Year Member
All cats look the same to me! DSH DMH DLH is how I see all cats. Obviously they look different but Norwegian just looks like any grey long haired cat to me.

swimbait

3 Year Member
Hi swinbait.
They are brother and sister I belive they are 7 years old.cheers for the info !. We didn't go on the weekend due to a 400 mile round trip and really bad wind. (No me the weather lol )
We missed out on the silver male :(
But I'm just waiting to put a deposit down on a smoked male Norwegian forest cat.. Should look something like this..View attachment 8345
My girlfriend has named it already and we haven't got it yet lol.. The kitten is 3 weeks old so won't be getting it if we do for another 10 weeks..
10 weeks of my girlfriend being excited !! (Can't wait) on the other hand I could end up with more T's in the house!!
So not all bad ;-)

Sym

I somehow got the two cats confused in my last post, Was thinking the grey one was the Norwegian. The grey mane on this cat is pretty awesome I will admit

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
You may well find that your female will mother the new kitten, my eldest female has done this on several occasions