• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Gimpy Leg...

LeahThomas

3 Year Member
Hey guys,

Just bought my first Mexican fire leg today, it's about 3" in diameter or so... Looked perfectly healthy and happy before the purchase and it wasn't until I got it home that I noticed it has a leg that looks a little, well... Gimpy. It's smaller than the others, darker, and has less hair. It's also a bit skittish for the species. The container it was being kept in at the pet store was MUCH too big for it (allowing about a foot for it to fall if it wanted to climb) and only about an inch and a half of substrate at the bottom. I'm wondering if the leg problem is maybe because of a bad fall it took at some point? And also curious if it will molt the bad leg away and will be fine once it has finished its molt. I thought I should also add that it still uses the leg, although a little less than the others. Sometimes it holds the leg up and doesn't walk on it, other times it uses it just fine.

Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated, thanks!

Spidro

3 Year Member
Never had the problem myself, but my buddys t broke its leg and in its molt it only grew with 7 legs, so he has a seven legged spider at the moment lol. He researched it emmensily, they will grow back, as the others said sounds like hes already in the stages of regrowing it if he has one at all. Should be fine (y)