• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

GBBs--semi-arboreal

Meludox

3 Year Member
So, I just stupidly realized that GreenBottle Blue tarantulas are semi-arboreal, and not terrestrial. Which would explain why Inkfish is constantly up on the sides of her tank. I've never seen anyone use an arboreal tank for a GBB, however I'm wondering if doing so would make mine happier. So I'm asking if I should convert her tank to arboreal (It's interchangeable). I currently have hers terrestrial, with a large branch in there longways that I was hoping she would anchor web to and such but so far has not.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
So, I just stupidly realized that GreenBottle Blue tarantulas are semi-arboreal, and not terrestrial. Which would explain why Inkfish is constantly up on the sides of her tank. I've never seen anyone use an arboreal tank for a GBB, however I'm wondering if doing so would make mine happier. So I'm asking if I should convert her tank to arboreal (It's interchangeable). I currently have hers terrestrial, with a large branch in there longways that I was hoping she would anchor web to and such but so far has not.
You can house her either way, gbbs will make themselves comfortable in a straight arboreal or terrestrial enclosure. My bigger girl molts in her trees and lives in her cave. My little girl molts and lives in her cave, but will climb up on her high rock and chill all day. It's one of the reasons I love them :) Didn't you just get yours Meludox? She'll web, believe me. Just give her time.

micheldied

3 Year Member

Are you sure she's not up on the sides because the substrate is too wet, or she's just getting accustomed to the enclosure?

Most people have a terrestrial tank for them, with more height and various items in there, like branches, for the GBB to web up. From what I've seen, it doesn't really matter how you set up the enclosure, if they're comfortable they'll web up the whole thing.

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I have one of mine set up as a terrestrial and she does great. She has webbed up the entire enclosure, including a little spider-made hide that she used to molt last time. My other GBB is a bit more antsy, so I'm thinking about giving her a bit more height in her enclosure to see if she'll use it. It won't be a full arboreal set-up, but it will allow her to get off the ground a bit.

Meludox

3 Year Member
Are you sure she's not up on the sides because the substrate is too wet, or she's just getting accustomed to the enclosure?

Most people have a terrestrial tank for them, with more height and various items in there, like branches, for the GBB to web up. From what I've seen, it doesn't really matter how you set up the enclosure, if they're comfortable they'll web up the whole thing.
There is no moisture in her tank. I'd assume its the latter. I suppose I'll just keep her tank terrestrial for now, I don't want to stress her out.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
They're terrestrial. They are better climbers than most terrestrials and have some arboreal habits, but they are considered terrestrial by most. I house mine as I would a terrestrial Just with stuff to anchor webbing to.

Charlotte

3 Year Member
I've had my GBB juvie for a couple of weeks and he/she webbed up pretty much straight away but every T is different and will do it in their own time. I have noticed mine likes to chill in its little webbed off corner most of the time but does like to go for a climb, hey im a poet! Definitely had a good climb and explore when it first arrived. I'd say give it some time and keep the enclousure as it is. Enjoy the Beautiful species :)

timc

3 Year Member
My GBB is up and down constantly. One minute she's on her web mat on the floor the next she's shaking her rump redoing her web in the top corners. Now that I think about it though she never goes upside down (which I like). I think they just like to make every last inch of their enclosure theirs, and thus they go all over the place!

Meludox

3 Year Member
I have a large branch in there, like some type of driftwood? It stretches from one end to the other but its not just a flat stick. I'll have to take a picture when I get back to my place.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
GBBs are often found in the branches of large bushes, with burrows down near the base, if that helps. ( I read up on them a bunch when I fell in love with the species :) ) You can keep her any way you please and she'll do fine, but I've found that lots of plastic plants seems to make them happy, I'm sure she likes the log you described as well. And natural cover seems to make them bolder about coming out for a stroll, many times in the highest areas, like the top of the plants. The haunted forest also looks awesome after a year of webbing. I have two females but I plan to get 2 or 3 more, this is hands down one of the best species in the hobby. Mine have taken to hiding lately though, for some reason..I thought it was premolt, but I'm wondering if it's the winter weather affecting them. Just started having to heat the room here in Texas, so maybe they'll come back out in the drier, warmer air. One thing about them, the only time I've ever had a spider with a molt problem was my little one, she got her leg stuck once and I had to put warm water on it, and she eventually pulled it out the next day. So when this happened I started reading about this, and it seems like it happens to GBBs more often then you might think. (That doesn't mean it happens all the time though). Since then, If I know one of mine is molting, or obviously fixing to, I make it rain on one side of the enclosure, just in case, and just enough to dampen things a bit for a few days. They're a dry species, but occasional rain can't do any harm, as long as they're not sitting in a wet, moldy enclosure for a week. The rest of the time it's bone dry. Hope this helps :)

Latest posts