• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

GBB Sling staying on walls

shewholovesmusic

So we got a new GBB sling in September and we've notice that while she's webbed everything up quite well and she'll go down to catch prey she always sticks to the sides and doesn't go elsewhere. She will bring her prey up and eat on the side she just doesn't seem to want to stay down. We've tried making sure that the soil isn't too moist and have checked it a few times adjusted to almost dry even and she just never wants to go down. She seems happy enough she has things to climb on but seems to prefer the sides. I've seen some things saying that GBB's have some arboreal characteristics and read many many threads about it but I can't find anything that might explain it that we haven't checked. My boyfriend is really worried about her so I thought I'd check to see if anyone else has any ideas here on whether or not it's bad that she won't hide elsewhere and just stays to the sides. (She's a little smaller than an inch I'd say and also she moves not all the time but kinda chooses different walls mainly depending on which side was closest when she last ate (again she loves to drag the crickets up there while she eats them and we have noticed she will actually take them to the ground when she's done then go back up to her little spots))

GarField000

3 Year Member
I have 3 slings an none off them go to the ground. Substrate is dry. Waterdish. Once or twice if wintertime I drip some drops on the web.
They stay always on top of their web or on the sides.

Colorado Ts

I've got 5 GBB slings in 4x4x4 AMAC box enclosures.

Few weeks ago I noticed that ALL of them were up on the sides of the enclosures hanging around the vent holes, for several days, and no webbing. I started checking things out and found that the substrate was very damp. Rehoused everyone over bone dry substrate.

Fast forward to now, all the slings are webbing. 2 slings have made web tunnels under their hides. 2 slings have just sort of webbed areas and hang out near their hide. These 4 slings are down near or on the substrate most all the time.

1 sling has a webbed one side of the enclosure and just seems to want to hang out near the vents and walk the upper edges of its enclosure. Every time I check the slings, that 1 sling is up on the sides, and I habitually check the substrate for moisture.

You must have one of its relatives, go figure...

T Freak

I just got a new GBB sling as well and that’s all it does is hang out on one corner of the 3x3x3 tarantula cribs box Iv got it in for now. Always on the side in that top corner. I plan to keep the substrate dry once it dries out some from making the new enclosure but it’s not super wet now just moist. It has made some web at the bottom of the cork bark but not a lot yet. I been wondering about this same thing. Maybe it’s just a GBB thing? Or could be due to moisture content in substrate? My Chaco golden knee sling stays on the ground and my Brazilian black and white hangs out on the ground and on the sides. But it’s like all over tho so I don’t worry bout it. Although I do need to give it a bigger hide at some point it can’t fit in the old one after this last molt and it won’t dig it out bigger for some reason. It used to use it a lot tho. Curious to see what others GBBs are doing.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I just got a new GBB sling as well and that’s all it does is hang out on one corner of the 3x3x3 tarantula cribs box Iv got it in for now. Always on the side in that top corner. I plan to keep the substrate dry once it dries out some from making the new enclosure but it’s not super wet now just moist. It has made some web at the bottom of the cork bark but not a lot yet. I been wondering about this same thing. Maybe it’s just a GBB thing? Or could be due to moisture content in substrate? My Chaco golden knee sling stays on the ground and my Brazilian black and white hangs out on the ground and on the sides. But it’s like all over tho so I don’t worry bout it. Although I do need to give it a bigger hide at some point it can’t fit in the old one after this last molt andit won’t dig it out bigger for some reason. It used to use it a lot tho. Curious to see what others GBBs are doing.
GBB slings rarely go to ground in my experience. It needs a bunch of anchor points and it will make a web canopy towards to middle/top of the enclosure. Give it time, food and always water

Last edited:

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
They love to be elevated off the ground. Give them high anchor points to Web and they will web to the ground. Unlike other terrestrial spiders Gbbs are more agile with climbing so I don't worry as much with falling. Just make sure you don't have anything sharp and pointy to fall onto.
20171231_061358.jpg
20171104_172442.jpg
20171130_171252.jpg
20171016_172152.jpg
20170529_201249.jpg

T Freak

GBB slings rarely go to ground in my experience. It needs a bunch of anchor points and it will make a web canopy towards to middle/top of the enclosure. Give it time, food and always water
Think I should try to put a small water dish like halfway up the nclosure wall when I go to a bigger enclosure or just leave a dish on the ground as usual?

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I don't bother with water dish placement for GBBs they web over them regardless. I end up watering into webbing

Latest posts