• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

GBB sling lost leg :(

Gizalba

3 Year Member
Hi,

Now my Chromatopelma Cyaneopubescens sling, Sonic, has lost a leg. I have circled the leg hanging in the web, on the third pic. I have had him for 6 weeks and haven't noticed him moulting. He rarely moves from this area of the enclosure and doesn't bolt so it is usually quite easy to poke his legs down with a paint brush so that they don't get caught in the lid if they are anywhere near it. So I don't think that has happened, but I don't know how else he could have lost the leg? :(

In care guides for this species I read that they like it dry even as slings, so unlike my other slings I hadn't been dampening the soil. I am worried now that I was doing wrong and that could be why he is stressed? So I have just dampened the section next to him so he has a choice to move there if he wants.

Does anyone have any advice or ideas?

Thanks if you do,

DSC08558.JPG
DSC08559.JPG
safer.JPG
DSC08556.JPG

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi,

Now my Chromatopelma Cyaneopubescens sling, Sonic, has lost a leg. I have circled the leg hanging in the web, on the third pic. I have had him for 6 weeks and haven't noticed him moulting. He rarely moves from this area of the enclosure and doesn't bolt so it is usually quite easy to poke his legs down with a paint brush so that they don't get caught in the lid if they are anywhere near it. So I don't think that has happened, but I don't know how else he could have lost the leg? :(

In care guides for this species I read that they like it dry even as slings, so unlike my other slings I hadn't been dampening the soil. I am worried now that I was doing wrong and that could be why he is stressed? So I have just dampened the section next to him so he has a choice to move there if he wants.

Does anyone have any advice or ideas?

Thanks if you do,

View attachment 51563View attachment 51564View attachment 51565View attachment 51566
You haven't done anything wrong :)
It's likely the sling already had an issue with that leg and cast it off, with slings they can have an issue and we can't see it so it's sorted itself out, your enclosure looks great and the T looks very settled and not stressed at all -
It will right itself on the next moult so it's nothing to worry about :)
We've currently got a p. Striata that lost 4 legs and is doing really well so looking forward to seeing it when it moults out, no idea why it lost the legs it just happens sometimes, hope that reassures you a bit :)

Gizalba

3 Year Member
You haven't done anything wrong :)
It's likely the sling already had an issue with that leg and cast it off, with slings they can have an issue and we can't see it so it's sorted itself out, your enclosure looks great and the T looks very settled and not stressed at all -
It will right itself on the next moult so it's nothing to worry about :)
We've currently got a p. Striata that lost 4 legs and is doing really well so looking forward to seeing it when it moults out, no idea why it lost the legs it just happens sometimes, hope that reassures you a bit

Thank you so much for the info and feedback! That is a massive relief <3

NorseDad

I know how you feel. I've had two leg drops in my year+ experience. One was a stuck molt very recently and the other was very early on during a transfer.

I'd just say don't feel guilty. It's something that happens, and they will do just fine until the new one grows back.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It is not nice when a sling drops a leg, but the fact it can do this, is an amazing feat of nature, made even more amazing by the fact that they can actually regrow it. I brought 4 B grade gimps off The Spider Shop, they were all minus a leg & all regrew them within months.

What happened with my 4 was on the first molt, the lost leg grew back thinner than the others & on the second molt, all legs looked the same.

Gizalba

3 Year Member
Thanks so much for the reassurances here! Indeed the fact they can re-grow their legs is amazing. I will trust that Sonic knows what he is doing in dropping the leg.

Latest posts