• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

GBB SLING CARE

JC1

3 Year Member
Good day

I have got a GBB Sling, and its 1cm. Extremely small! i got it yesterday as my birthday present. i always wanted a GBB! its in 'n plastic container, with some substrate the petshop had given. its got a lot of air holes.

the substrate is quite dry with some humidity droplets on the side. what i want to know is, for this type of sling, what the humidity should be? and how often should i feed it? i cant find any GBB sling care sheets on the internet, just for adults.

i really dont want to loose this baby. The plastic tub container looks huge compared to the sling. should i give it something smaller? change the substrate?

All my other T's (mexican species) is on DRY substrate, and they seem to love it when its dry. the picture below is the GBB sling. Remember its zoomed in a lot!

The petshop gave it normal mealworms, and i found a larvae and a huge mealworm walking around in the cage. i took it out... the sling is too small.

if anyone can send me a link to GBB sling care, it would be really helpful.

Attachments

• Greenbottle Blue Tarantula day One 16 March 2016.jpg
    Greenbottle Blue Tarantula day One 16 March 2016.jpg
    560 KB · Views: 624

JC1

3 Year Member
i gosh, sorry to hear mate! dont worry, everthing happens for a reason. that GBB sling that got sold by mistake was probably not meant for you! so hang on! im so chuffed about my GBB.... all other species i have is all mexican... so theres a lot of red leg and red knee, and flames in the names! haha.... my GBB is my first blue multi colored other that red, flame tarantula.

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
As you know, Chromatopelma cyaneopubscens have to be kept dry - with a waterdish - when adult / young adult. But when little slings, they are like other tarantulas: the cuticle isn't waterproofed, which means they need a little bit more water than when bigger. I assume that yours is 1 cm body length (and not 1 cm diagonal legspan), right? Then my advice would be: give it a small waterdish (bottle cap for instance), and once a week, pour some water in one corner of the box to moisten one part of the substrate. Doing that, you will increase the RH of the enclosure, it'll help it to get enough humidity. But beware not to dampen the substrate, it could be problematic. When your GBB will be bigger (I'd say something around 3 cm BL), you can stop moistening the substrate and give only the waterdish (a bigger one).

For the food, once or twice a week a cricket which is the size of the cephalothorax (or a little bit bigger) is okay. About the substrate, I can't tell which kind of substrate it is, but it could be a good idea to change it anyway, just to be sure there aren't any worms buried somewhere (given previously by the petshop). Otherwise, you can keep it like this, watching carefully if there aren't molding problems and how it reacts to humidity (does it dry very quickly or not?). About the size of the tub, I cannot tell from the picture, but I'm sure it isn't too large. And little GBB are formidable and fast hunters, even if there's a lot of room in their enclosure!

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
give them things to web on, both of mine live more arboreal than terrestrial. my small one (3/4" leg span) lives in his web tunnel in the leaves of the fake plant i put in his enclosure. he's not yet ventured down to the ground. His substrate is dry with a water dish i overflow now and then, and i mist the end of his web tunnel to watch him drink the droplets once a week or so. He eats pinhead roaches twice a week. he'll take down roaches as big as his body, but shy's away from anything bigger than that.

They're ferocious eaters, and fast like @Nicolas C said, but I've never seen mine hunt. They'll dart after prey when it get's close but if the prey gets away they'll sit and wait for it to wander back by.

These 2 and a couple others in my collection have made feeding time one of the things i look forward to every week :)

Zurchiboy

3 Year Member
Gbb, one of the most colorful Tarantulas. Congrats on the new T. They come from arid regions so keep it mostly dry. spray the edges every once and a while if you aren't using a bottle cap for a water dish so it can drink water. These guys grow at a decent pace and are veracious feeders, shouldn't be long till it out grows its current enclosure :). The color change as it grows up is just awesome. The container its in looks good, should be well webbed up in a week or so.

Latest posts