• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

GBB Moult, Do I Remove It?

GBBT

Hi all

My daughter's GBB, Zeus has had his first moult with us, this is our first experience ever. He seems to be a pro and has come out looking really healthy and happy. My question is this. We can see the moult buried in his webbed up lair under the substrate. He is not going in his lair very much now, is this because the moult is still in there, or just because he will be more active now he has moulted?

Do we need to remove the moult or will it just break down? We are wary about removing it because we don't want to destroy all the webbing he has created for his impressive home.

Any help would be really appreciated :)

GBBT

Hi all

My daughter's GBB, Zeus has had his first moult with us, this is our first experience ever. He seems to be a pro and has come out looking really healthy and happy. My question is this. We can see the moult buried in his webbed up lair under the substrate. He is not going in his lair very much now, is this because the moult is still in there, or just because he will be more active now he has moulted?

Do we need to remove the moult or will it just break down? We are wary about removing it because we don't want to destroy all the webbing he has created for his impressive home.

Any help would be really appreciated :)

Attachments

• 255796066_216945483854570_1275485607678759213_n.jpg
    255796066_216945483854570_1275485607678759213_n.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 255153464_594890318401210_8159080803249237620_n.jpg
    255153464_594890318401210_8159080803249237620_n.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 10

James Snow

If you want to try and sex it you can remove it. If not I would just leave it. If they dont like it there they will move it. It doesnt really break down per say it just dries out. I have had one sitting on the bottom of my p metallicas enclosure for about two and a half months.

GBBT

Thank you so much James, I will ask my daughter what she would prefer to do and go from there, all advice is so helpful as we really are very new to all of this. I know we call him a he, but personally I think it is more likely a she as even after moulting, Zeus is not very colourful.

x_raphael_xx

I like to collect mine, if I can remove them without stressing the T. They are kinda fragile and some molts have lost legs etc, but I’m hoping to frame some of the bigger ones.
584A33D6-5D6D-41F6-B348-56A28E83B439.jpeg

GBBT

OK, so would you say male or female, or too hard to tell? We can't work it out.

Attachments

• 20211111_175446.jpg
    20211111_175446.jpg
    955 KB · Views: 7

James Snow

OK, so would you say male or female, or too hard to tell? We can't work it out.
You cant tell just by looking at the molt like that. Youre going to have to soak it and look for a slit inside the abdomen part. I dont know all the technical terms. You should watch a youtube tutorial on how to sex tarantulas with molts.

GBBT

You cant tell just by looking at the molt like that. Youre going to have to soak it and look for a slit inside the abdomen part. I dont know all the technical terms. You should watch a youtube tutorial on how to sex tarantulas with molts.
Thank you again James. Will give it a go. If no luck this time, then hopefully the next moult we may get lucky.

x_raphael_xx

Thank you again James. Will give it a go. If no luck this time, then hopefully the next moult we may get lucky.
You need to focus on this part, between the booklungs (white bits).
If there is a flap, female. No flap, male.
My example is a male.
Although if they are still young and small it can still be difficult to tell.
771CD0E5-39A4-45D6-BCD3-1FF7D5F65855.jpeg

GBBT

You need to focus on this part, between the booklungs (white bits).
If there is a flap, female. No flap, male.
My example is a male.
Although if they are still young and small it can still be difficult to tell.
View attachment 60994
Thank you so much, what an amazing moult. We are seem to be missing quite a chunk so don't think we will be lucky this time round to work it out. Zeus was purchased as a juvenile and my daughter has had him around two months, I can't get over how much he has grown already :)

x_raphael_xx

Thank you so much, what an amazing moult. We are seem to be missing quite a chunk so don't think we will be lucky this time round to work it out. Zeus was purchased as a juvenile and my daughter has had him around two months, I can't get over how much he has grown already :)
The molt does look a little chewed up.
But they can get a little twisted up, if you soak it in soapy water you may be able to tease it gently open.

Latest posts