• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

GBB Hooked Out

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
My boy hooked out after his last molt. He ate for me yesterday.

I have an adult female. I'd like to breed them. Each of them have extensive webbing in their enclosures. Should I introduce him into her enclosure, or make a separate enclosure that is wide open with no obstructions and put both of them into the new spot so I can save his little ass if need be?
IMG_8956.JPG

IMG_8957.JPG

Metalman2004

3 Year Member
Feed her until she refuses then put him in her enclosure overnight. They usually take hrs to get it done. Mine seemed to be light sensitive as well and wouldn’t do it during the day.

In about a dozen GBB pairings I haven’t had a male eaten and they’ve all stayed in overnight.

You should also be flooding her enclosure some.

menavodi

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I always put my males in the female terrarium. In nature the male walks and walks a lot to find a female retreat....the web tells him where to go. I had good results with this. But when the male gets older, he may end as a meal for the female. And she might produce some more eggs in her cocoon. Nothing is ever waisted in nature.

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have never bred any Ts...but I heard about a few people who have attempted GBBs and lost males over it,some species have got to be worse than others for this?:eek::(

Metalman2004

3 Year Member
I have never bred any Ts...but I heard about a few people who have attempted GBBs and lost males over it,some species have got to be worse than others for this?:eek::(

Lots of people say the GBB females are really aggressive, but to date I’ve only seen one firsthand account of a GBB female eating a male. He posted it to YouTube and it was a brutal takedown.

In any case I (and several people) have observed the opposite. After a dozen or more GBB pairings I’ve yet to see any aggressiveness.

The one pairing I’ve had that was outright violent was B auratum. The actual pairing was very energetic and aggressive and as soon as they were done she lashed out at him and he barely got away with help from my spatula. Paired them a second time for good measure and it was the same thing. Unfortunately I don’t think she’s Gravid though.

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
Lots of people say the GBB females are really aggressive, but to date I’ve only seen one firsthand account of a GBB female eating a male. He posted it to YouTube and it was a brutal takedown.

In any case I (and several people) have observed the opposite. After a dozen or more GBB pairings I’ve yet to see any aggressiveness.

The one pairing I’ve had that was outright violent was B auratum. The actual pairing was very energetic and aggressive and as soon as they were done she lashed out at him and he barely got away with help from my spatula. Paired them a second time for good measure and it was the same thing. Unfortunately I don’t think she’s Gravid though.
I LOVE B. auratum. I have two little ones. I've you get babies, I'll buy some for sure.

Thanks for the tips on the GBB. I'll try it soon and report back.

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
I've put them together twice now. Female moves slowly, but male hasn't shown much interest yet. I'll wet the substrate more and mist a couple of times a day and try again. I gave them a couple of hours together in the female's enclosure today, but I didn't see them pair up. I decided to separate them for the night and the male didn't seem to like that idea at all. For the first time in 32 years of keeping tarantulas, I felt the effects of urticating hairs. The boy was flicking clouds of them at me for trying to get him to go back to his own enclosure. Maybe I ruined his plans for the evening? I think I'll leave them together over night tomorrow and see how it goes.
IMG_9258.JPG

IMG_9260.JPG

Latest posts