• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

GBB feeding observations

shulamite

3 Year Member
WeeLob came to live with me last Christmas. She was maybe 2 1/2" when I got her, is maybe 1/2"bigger now after 2 molts and about 5 crickets a month for food. She would rarely come out of her lair except to web at night so I didn't get to see her in action very often.
Last Saturday I bought 8 crickets and she devoured 3 almost immediately and seemed way more bold than usual; wandering around her terrarium and even visiting the water dish for a drink.
A really interesting thing I noticed when I brought the crickets home was that one of them had a deformed/broken off back leg. It seemed just as active as the 7 other crickets and so I figured it was healthy enough to be WeeLob's dinner.
Its the only cricket Weelob has not eaten out of the eight which seems to indicate taratulas prefer healthy non-defective food or else this particular cricket is really good at surviving.
Your thoughts?

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I think your cricket is just a survivor, because my Ts will take live crickets, hobbled crickets, half-squished crickets, and for the little ones, pre-killed crickets. They definitely do NOT discriminate :)

shulamite

3 Year Member
Thanks all for your notes about tarantulas and their feeding habits. Mr Survivor is still hanging out uneaten right above Weelob's lair :)

Latest posts