• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

GBB breeding report

Johnnyp1987

3 Year Member
I received my adult female on tuesday 23rd august 2016. I received my mature male on tuesday 20th september 2016. The female is housed in a 14 litre plastic container, the male is housed in a smaller plastic container.

Wednesday 21st september 2016.
Male ate.

Sunday 25th september 2016.
Attempted to pair, female chased male away.

Thursday 29th september 2016.
Attempted to pair, male was roaming his enclosure, male was put into females enclosure and approached slowly but wasnt interested when he got very close to the female.
d08ea6954b97dd7268cced931b04240f.jpg

Tuesday 4th october 2016.
Male ate, female refused. I think she may be in premolt. Im stuck between a rock and a hard place. What are my options?
1. Try and pair them anyway? If she isnt in premolt it might be successful. If she is in premolt it might encourage her to molt and the male might still be "up to it" after a molt.
2. Wait until shes molted on her natural cycle and then pair them, if the male is still upto it.
3. Send him away on a breeding loan.

Obviously all 3 options run the risk of the male being killed, also with option 2 theres a risk he will die of old age before he can be paired.

Wednesday 5th october 2016.
I shark tanked the male when it had got dark, flooded one side of the females enclosure, i plan to leave him in overnight.

Last edited:

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hope these two eventually "hook up". Great update and I hope the thread continues all the way to a successful haul of little lovelies.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hes getting closer, she chased him off 1st time when he wasnt as close as he is in the pic so 3rd time lucky i hope lol
Let's hope so.☺. So is curly hair and GBB the 2 projects atm or do you have others going on as well. I have ordered a male genic but not mature yet but plan will be to introduce him to my Genie at some point.

Johnnyp1987

3 Year Member
Ive got a mature pair of euathlus parvulus aswel which im trying to breed. Ive just sexed my genic as female, she molted the other day. I put a thread in general discussions section with a pic. Amazing how much size she has added. Genics have quite large sacs dont they?

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Ive got a mature pair of euathlus parvulus aswel which im trying to breed. Ive just sexed my genic as female, she molted the other day. I put a thread in general discussions section with a pic. Amazing how much size she has added. Genics have quite large sacs dont they?
I believe so. Maybe that's why they are so cheap these days......I still think they are one of the must haves and most impressive Ts out there tho.

Johnnyp1987

3 Year Member
They are, im still in awe of how great my female looks, im literally shocked at the difference between how she looks now to how she looked before her molt.

Redacted

3 Year Member
Gigundus egg sacs.

Austin S.

3 Year Member
Tuesday 4th october 2016.
Male ate, female refused. I think she may be in premolt. Im stuck between a rock and a hard place. What are my options?
1. Try and pair them anyway? If she isnt in premolt it might be successful. If she is in premolt it might encourage her to molt and the male might still be "up to it" after a molt.
2. Wait until shes molted on her natural cycle and then pair them, if the male is still upto it.
3. Send him away on a breeding loan.

Obviously all 3 options run the risk of the male being killed, also with option 2 theres a risk he will die of old age before he can be paired.

When did the female last molt? From my experience, GBB females are only in cycle to mate about 3 weeks to a month after molting.
If a female is 4 months post molt or more, she probably will not be receptive.
However, I received a mature female 2 months ago. She molted 2 weeks before she was sent to me. She was not receptive towards my male at all after 5 attempts. Three days ago she molted again.
That's two molts for a 5" female in less than 4 months.
Sometimes introducing a mature male will trigger a molt for the female. It's happened quite a bit with me with various species.
My guess is, is that she will molt in a month.

Last ditch effort - Try pouring water (in a rain mimicking motion) all over her tank, then introduce the male 45 minutes later.
Keep temperature around 85.

Johnnyp1987

3 Year Member
Yes she is more than 4 months post molt. I have tried flooding her enclosure to simulate the wet season but ive not introduced the male after, ive been doing it once or twice a week.

Johnnyp1987

3 Year Member
Well my female went into heavy premolt, now i can see why she wasnt receptive. I didnt want the male to just die of old age without breeding, so ive sold him on and hopefully he will be of use to someone else. Project closed... for now [emoji57]

Redacted

3 Year Member
Well my female went into heavy premolt, now i can see why she wasnt receptive. I didnt want the male to just die of old age without breeding, so ive sold him on and hopefully he will be of use to someone else. Project closed... for now [emoji57]
Good call.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Next time buddy, next time.

Latest posts