• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

G. Rosea sexing question.

Spots

I have a G. Rosea around 4-5 in. and its ventral area has a white mustache.
I know that females tends to have these, but do males also get these mustache?
Or would this mean that this is a sure female.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Picture?

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Yes Males can appear to have lighter setae also.

Spots

I tried taking some pictures whenever it was on the glass by itself but the angle was not good and the pictures even worse, but here are some pics.

Attachments

• G.Rosea ventral.png
    G.Rosea ventral.png
    309.3 KB · Views: 12
  • G.Rosea ventral1.png
    G.Rosea ventral1.png
    280.1 KB · Views: 12
  • G.Rosea ventral2.png
    G.Rosea ventral2.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 11

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Anyone with G.Roseas chime in?
You don't have to have a G rosea to know how to sex a G rosea, you just need the correct resources. Like: https://tarantulaforum.com/threads/how-to-sex-your-tarantula.281/

Ventral sexing is not infallible or 100% accurate. Did you want a best guess from an "internet expert" that happens to own the same species or would you prefer scientific accuracy?

You're probably not getting a reply because it would be a guess, the pics are not clear, or because it's not accurate and no one wants to potentially mislead you.

Spots

You don't have to have a G rosea to know how to sex a G rosea, you just need the correct resources. Like: https://tarantulaforum.com/threads/how-to-sex-your-tarantula.281/

Ventral sexing is not infallible or 100% accurate. Did you want a best guess from an "internet expert" that happens to own the same species or would you prefer scientific accuracy?
I was going for someone who has a G.Rosea to compare with the my ventral picture.

I know ventral sexing is not 100%, but I wanted to know others' opinions besides my own.

Scientific or internet guess is all welcome; the more the better.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I was going for someone who has a G.Rosea to compare with the my ventral picture.

I know ventral sexing is not 100%, but I wanted to know others' opinions besides my own.

Scientific or internet guess is all welcome; the more the better.
There are a metric ton of pics on the internet, and yours are not great. You have the actual spider and are in a better position than anyone else. Your guess is literally as good as anyone else's - we've all been fooled/disappointed by guessing and being proven wrong by a molt.

Is there any urgency to sexing it now? Why not just wait and be happily surprised when you know 100% for sure? #zenlife

Spots

There are a metric ton of pics on the internet, and yours are not great. You have the actual spider and are in a better position than anyone else. Your guess is literally as good as anyone else's - we've all been fooled/disappointed by guessing and being proven wrong by a molt.

Is there any urgency to sexing it now? Why not just wait and be happily surprised when you know 100% for sure? #zenlife
Yes, I can wait for the molt to be 100%, but before that time comes I wanted the opinions of others on what they think of my ventral picture; regardless it's a guess or not, regardless right or wrong; just to have a discussion about it, I thought that is one of the reasons of this forum.

I have checked the internet for photos, but like I mentioned I wanted the opinions of actual G. Rosea keepers.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Yes, I can wait for the molt to be 100%, but before that time comes I wanted the opinions of others on what they think of my ventral picture; regardless it's a guess or not, regardless right or wrong; just to have a discussion about it, I thought that is one of the reasons of this forum.

I have checked the internet for photos, but like I mentioned I wanted the opinions of actual G. Rosea keepers.
I have kept G rosea and can't make out anything discernable from the pics you posted.

@WolfSpider has a knack and method for sexing males ventrally that he has posted as a resource and he could not discern from your pics, either.

Got better, clearer pics with less blur, flash or poop to share?

humble_human

3 Year Member
My advice is wait until they molt and then examine their exoskeleton to see if there's a pouch - that's how I sexed my G.Rose Atticus and learned that she was a female. :)

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
That one is easy. I can see her epigastric furrow nicely on 2 of the 4 pissed off pics. :p
Usually she volunteers to exit her enclosure...then I could get a great picture. She wasn't having none of it last night. It's been a few years since she molted..might be getting close.

Latest posts