• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

G. rosea Breeding

ipreventdeath

3 Year Member
I came upon a mature male Grammastola rosea and will be picking him up on Tuesday. I wanted to attempt to breed him to my larger female. She should measure out around 5in or so. Does anyone know at what size the females mature? Or whether or not I should attempt this pairing before she molts again? She just molted in the beginning of March, so she wouldn't be do for a while.

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I would probably say at that size that your rosie female should be mature. How much larger is she than your male? A male that is quite a bit smaller may have a harder time getting a good insertion. I haven't had the chance to breed yet, but that's what I have read; so you can take it with a grain of salt until someone with more experience weighs in :)

ipreventdeath

3 Year Member
I would probably say at that size that your rosie female should be mature. How much larger is she than your male? A male that is quite a bit smaller may have a harder time getting a good insertion. I haven't had the chance to breed yet, but that's what I have read; so you can take it with a grain of salt until someone with more experience weighs in :)

The male appears to have a similar leg span, but I haven't brought him home yet so I'm not entirely sure. Though his leg span looks similar, his body is a bit smaller. I know he's ready because he was making a sperm web at the shop, I was just wondering if she would be big enough. I guess there's only one way to find out! :p

TJB13

3 Year Member
One of my chilean rose is just under 5 inches. She laid an infertile egg sack shortly after I bought her. So I would think yours would be mature. I want to find a stud for my ladies too. Best of luck and keep us posted on how the mating goes.

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm pretty sure the leg span is much more important than body mass. He just needs the reach to get good insertions. I think that at 5" your female should be gtg.

ipreventdeath

3 Year Member
Excellent! Sounds good. If all goes well with the purchase I'll pair them up this weekend and see what happens. My female is nice and chubby so I think he'll have a chance.

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Good luck with the pairing!! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and your rosies :)

ipreventdeath

3 Year Member
Well everyone, meet Apollo! He is the MM G. rosea I picked up today. He measured out around 5.5in and is quite leggy.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

And boy was he ready to go. When I saw him in the shop he was going crazy crawling all over the place. He had just finished his sperm web in the shop last Friday, so I assumed he was on the prowl. As soon as I brought him in I figured 'why not?' In with Athena he went. I couldn't have asked for anything more :D
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Athena was extremely receptive and reared up as soon as she noticed him. He went for it and they locked up for about two minutes or so before letting go. She did try to go after him, but I moved in and cleared him away. The guy was terrified! He tried biting the rubber on the tongs a few times, but is now doing well back in his own home.

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That is brilliant that they were both up for it. Really hope you get some babies out of it. Its good that they got on so well and lucky you rescued him after from the stroppy madam. Fingers and toes all crossed for you!

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
WOW! Excellent shots! Congrats on getting them together! They most both be VERY happy Ts! Keep us updated on how things go now that you're expecting! :) ;)

ipreventdeath

3 Year Member
That is brilliant that they were both up for it. Really hope you get some babies out of it. Its good that they got on so well and lucky you rescued him after from the stroppy madam. Fingers and toes all crossed for you!

It was quite exciting! I'm hoping for some munchkins as well :)

WOW! Excellent shots! Congrats on getting them together! They most both be VERY happy Ts! Keep us updated on how things go now that you're expecting! :) ;)

Thanks, josh, will do!

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Really great photos! Congrats on the rosie love! Definitely looking forward to updates :)

ipreventdeath

3 Year Member
Really great photos! Congrats on the rosie love! Definitely looking forward to updates :)

Thanks, bast! I'll update when I get more info. I'm hoping this male will pair up with my other female, Artemis, during this spring season, though she's a tad smaller than Athena at round 4.5in. We will have to see how that one goes. I'm not quite sure if she's matured yet.

ipreventdeath

3 Year Member
*Update*
Today I tried to pair Apollo with Artemis for the second time, hoping for better results. I wasn't sure when Apollo matured and wanted to attempt again before it was too late (might not be for a while or could be tomorrow). This time, the results were much better. :)
T02-046.JPG

T02-047.JPG

T02-048.JPG

T02-049.JPG

She was immediately receptive this time and he went right in for it. Unfortunately, as soon as he let go she went right after him and I didn't have a chance to react. But, he did fulfill his purpose in life, and not only once, but twice. Hopefully the results later on are worth it.

On a side note: Athena noticed the commotion and decided to investigate... then hang around and watch. The pervert.
DSC01113.JPG

Latest posts