• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

G. pulchripes VS A. seemanni

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Good morning Gang,

I have an adult female A. seemanni and was given another one a few months back.
At the begining I didn't think twice about it but recently when rearranging the collection I ended up putting their enclosures side by side.
There is no doubt my original adult female seemanni is the real deal but I am starting to wonder about the one that was given to me.
Her legs' markings and stripes are more yellowish that the ones on my seemanni, you can clearly see the difference (I'll take some pictures this evening).
I was wondering if the more knowledgeable people on the forum, used to both species could point out what else should I look for to confirm the second one is indeed a seemanni and not a G. pulchribes. I have another G. pulchribes but it is still a big sling and doesn't offer a good comparaison.

Let me know, thank you.

plessey

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The mirror patch on the abdomen would be the easiest way to spot pulchripes. However, more likely one could be Aphonopelma sp. Guatemala as they are often sold as seemanni or it could just be that one is more recently moulted than the other.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Seemanii are blonde underneath.
Seemanni_molt_HD_1.gif

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The mirror patch on the abdomen would be the easiest way to spot pulchripes. However, more likely one could be Aphonopelma sp. Guatemala as they are often sold as seemanni or it could just be that one is more recently moulted than the other.
Thank you, greatly appreciated.
Would you happen to have a picture of the "mirror patch" on a pulchripes by any chance, for me to know what to look for?
I thought about the molt as well but my MF seemanni molted more than a year ago and her marking as still perfectly white (she could do some laundry detergent commercial!).

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Also the second leg segment the "bastarsus" I think...may have butchered that. Anyways the single dagger stripe seen in my two photos of the seemanii is majorly prominent the pulchripes not so much.

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
So I can confirm now that I have two MF A. seemanni although one has definitely darker/yellowish stripes. The "hairyness" and underbelly definitely didn't match a G. pulchripes.
Thank you all for the tips.

Latest posts