• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

G. Pulchripes Acting Strange?

HoneyBeeeHappy

I've had glorious little Pumpkin for over 3 years now, she's a G. Pulchripes, and I got her when she was tinier than my pinkie nail and she lived in a glorified test tube (idk if she's a she, she's a bit small to tell). She's also my first - and only - t.

She's always been a good eater - I've joked that she's the most "well-behaved" pet I have - but she stopped eating late September. It was the first time she's ever refused a cricket. I figured she might be getting ready to molt, so I left her alone. Two weeks later, no molt, and I tried again. No dice. I just tried again today - she was sitting in that odd boxy position and it concerned me, so I poked her a few times with a straw and it barely provoked a response. She ignored the cricket, even though I chased it until it ran underneath her, and eventually she crawled sluggishly into her cave. Which she barely ever uses. I removed the cricket because, if she is going to molt, I don't want it nibbling on her.

I'm worried she's not getting enough moisture, or maybe has that incurable death disease where t's stop eating. Thoughts?

Tarantulafeets

I've had glorious little Pumpkin for over 3 years now, she's a G. Pulchripes, and I got her when she was tinier than my pinkie nail and she lived in a glorified test tube (idk if she's a she, she's a bit small to tell). She's also my first - and only - t.

She's always been a good eater - I've joked that she's the most "well-behaved" pet I have - but she stopped eating late September. It was the first time she's ever refused a cricket. I figured she might be getting ready to molt, so I left her alone. Two weeks later, no molt, and I tried again. No dice. I just tried again today - she was sitting in that odd boxy position and it concerned me, so I poked her a few times with a straw and it barely provoked a response. She ignored the cricket, even though I chased it until it ran underneath her, and eventually she crawled sluggishly into her cave. Which she barely ever uses. I removed the cricket because, if she is going to molt, I don't want it nibbling on her.

I'm worried she's not getting enough moisture, or maybe has that incurable death disease where t's stop eating. Thoughts?
Probably in premolt, tarantulas can be in premolt for long periods of time, especially when given lots and lots of food beforehand. You just need to wait it out until you have a fresh t. Provide a water dish and try not to disturb it.
And I'm not sure what disease that you're talking about... only thing that comes to mind is maybe problems with the sucking stomach? But that would mean that it can't eat after a molt, not just all of a sudden.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
G pulchripes is an interesting species. I have a few and their personalities are definitely very different between them. I slow down their feed schedule as they get older and larger to once every 3 weeks or so. If they refuse food then it's premolt.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
How does her abdomen look? Your T sounds like my G. pulchripes in pre molt. It sometimes seems like forever for them to molt. As was said above, make sure fresh water is available and wait it out. Keep an eye on things.

HoneyBeeeHappy

How does her abdomen look? Your T sounds like my G. pulchripes in pre molt. It sometimes seems like forever for them to molt. As was said above, make sure fresh water is available and wait it out. Keep an eye on things.
Her abdomen looks smaller than usual, I suspect because she's not eating - it's shrunk when she hasn't eaten for long periods of time before. Otherwise her colors are pretty dull(as if she needs to molt).

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Hmmm not sure. Usually with a molt the abdomen swells up and darkens. Continue to keep an eye on her. Some tarantulas naturally go on hunger strikes from time to time.

HoneyBeeeHappy

@HoneyBeeeHappy
Any news? I am hoping you can update us, although I know you have not been on since Nov. 3.
Yeah I really came on just to see if there was anything I could do.

Turns out she was not molting. I didn't really think she was, but there's nothing you can do y'know? She was being sluggish and not eating for a few months and it was really not like her.

She died a few days ago :( I'm going to miss her.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
I am sorry to hear that. Maybe someone here could offer some suggestions as to what happened. Some pictures if you have them might help, if you want. When did she last molt?

HoneyBeeeHappy

She last molted really early this year - I didn't notice it had happened until I cleaned her enclosure and found the remains hidden in her burrow. I'd been thinking it was a long time since she'd molted.

Here's a pic. I haven't had the heart to remove her from her enclosure yet.

20211129_164036.jpg

Latest posts