1. Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

G. Pulchripes 3.5 inch female in premolt already?

Discussion in 'General Tarantula Discussion' started by Adraps11, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Adraps11

Adraps11 Active Member

My Grammostola Pulchripes, appears to be in premolt again. She last molted on May 24th of this year. Before that it was May 25th 2016. I wonder if the change in diet, enclosure and temps have anything to do with this possible premolt. She's in a nice 10 gallon enclosure, and has webbed the entire place, it looks beautiful. She appears very comfortable underneath her retreat, which she has just now in the last few days, sealed off. Usually, she's pretty active, but doesn't climb the sides, she's very mellow in this enclosure. She also stopped feeding, and showed me the threat posture, when presented with both half inch and one inch dubia roaches. I've been feeding her every week, Mon, wed, and friday, since May 30th. Her diet consists of only dubia roaches, all have been gut loaded.

I can see that on the inside of the retreat, she's spun a web mat, and just like last premolt, she's losing fuzzy hairballs on her abdomen and brushing them around the mat. The skin underneath is dark. It's been a humid, hot summer, and upstairs in my tiny room it gets probably in the mid seventies, when the computer has been running a long time. It's cooler out in the hallway. I'm just surprised that she could be in premolt again so fast. If she does molt I hope it isn't a fatal premature molt, like I've seen on youtube.
  2. Adraps11

Adraps11 Active Member

I didn't think Grammostola grew this fast, but I just looked in on her and she's halfway out of her old skin! It's a good thing I transferred her to the ten gallon!
    Enn49 likes this.
  3. Adraps11

Adraps11 Active Member

She's out flexing them legs! Man! It never gets old, observing them molting. It is a confirmed female, but this molt and growth rate has really surprised me. IDK, but I'd say she's 4.5 or maybe closer to five inches in leg span now. Now I have three exoskeletons to compare, the oldest dating back to May 25th 2016, right after I bought her.
  4. Enn49

Enn49 Moderator Staff Member 1,000+ Post Club

Congrats on the moult :)
  5. Adraps11

Adraps11 Active Member

Thanks! She's barricaded herself in her habba hut hide. I can see inside on the end that's up against the glass, with protective webbing all up and down it. As she slid out of the old skin, it shifted sideways, obscuring my view of the other side, so that I can just barely see that she's righted herself. Looking in from the well sealed, NO DUBIA ARE GETTING IN HERE!, entrance, I can see two of her new front legs, and just a tiny view of the already expanded carapace. The complete child in me wants to tear down the seal, and take out the molt with some tongs, but I'll just wait until she comes out herself, as I've always done. These are marvelous creatures that never fail to fascinate me. lol Now I'll be busy keeping four sub-adult roaches alive, until her appetite returns. Easy peasy! Switching from crickets to roaches has made a night and day difference in terms of, nutrition, upkeep, smell, and the mortality rate.
    Enn49 likes this.
  6. Enn49

Enn49 Moderator Staff Member 1,000+ Post Club

They are extremely fascinating and more individual than you' think.:)
  7. Tgotty90

Tgotty90 Well-Known Member

Congrats on the molt!!!
    G.pulchripes do seem to grow faster than others in the genius, mine went from .5" to 3" in under a year, probably a male but still way faster then my other grammostolas. I've read other post with the same results as well.
Draft saved Draft deleted