• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

G. pulchra Spermathecae Sexing Help Please!

Mattkc

3 Year Member
This is a sub-adult (3.5 inch) G. pulchra that I need confirmation on sexing. It appears male to me, but wanted the experts to confirm this!
3.5 inch G. pulchra 1.JPG

This is a different angle of same sub-adult (3.5 inch) G. pulchra.
3.5 inch G. pulchra 2.JPG

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
IMG_20160814_082514.jpg
This is the same photo (your 2nd pictured) with a different contrast. I took a screenshot and edited (hope you don't mind- I didn't do anything to alter the picture other than change the contrast & circle the exuvium area and I deleted the photo from my gallery afterward) so that perhaps others can see what I'm seeing inside the red circle. When you took a picture of this molt, it was very fresh, wasn't it? Or would you say it was taken hours or days afterward?

Mattkc

3 Year Member
The picture I posted was taken a few hours after it molted - it was very moist and malleable!
Thanks again for your help and the detailed explanation. I'll hold on to her for another year to confirm she is a she:)!

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Upon examining pictures of the completely dry molt, I am confident in saying that I agree with Steve as stated above and that the G. pulchra in question is indeed male. For better results, it is best to allow the molt to completely dry prior to trying to sex it as lighting and conditioning of exoskeleton plays a role in identifying organs. Thanks Matt. It has been a lesson well learned on my end and taught on behalf of said specimen. :)