• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

G. pulchra Sealed Burrow Question.

BrokenRay

3 Year Member
After how many months should I wait to dig up my G. pulchra sling if it doesn't surface?

It's been a month since he sealed off his burrow. He/she was 1/2 inch. so hoping it molted into 3/4 in. I know to leave it be but after how long should I be concerned if it doesn't open it's burrow?

E

ExMember

I just checked on my B klaasi after several months and it's fine. Didn't eat during this time at all. Not sure if it was drinking the water either.

When you say sealed off do you mean with webbing? Or like this?

20191226_143124.jpg

If it's webbed up then that is a likely moult. My albopilosum disappeared for 2 months and molted twice underground. If it's like the pic I posted then that's more of a "hibernating" behavior.

If it's webbed then I would leave it be. It will come out when ready. If it's a dirt mound I would check on it in a bit or whenever you start to worry a lot. Just for piece of mind (sorry for the iron maiden pun!)

Also a dead tarantula will smell really bad so if there is no odours coming from the enclosure then it's probably fine :)

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
How fat is your pulchra sling? Lol
Mine is pretty fat and always under its cork bark which, I'd say, it 85% sealed with substrate. In other words, leaving a tiny hole. I never see it, just legs poking out the hole when hungry.
They are incredibly slow moulters too. So don't be surprised if it reappears at some point and hasn't even moulted.
All you can do is make sure the water dish never runs dry. It is capable of opening that burrow when it gets hungry and is ready to come out. The other thing I do is overflow the water dish so there's a moist area, though when it's past the sling stage I'll be keeping it dry.

E

ExMember

How fat is your pulchra sling? Lol
Mine is pretty fat and always under its cork bark which, I'd say, it 85% sealed with substrate. In other words, leaving a tiny hole. I never see it, just legs poking out the hole when hungry.
They are incredibly slow moulters too. So don't be surprised if it reappears at some point and hasn't even moulted.
All you can do is make sure the water dish never runs dry. It is capable of opening that burrow when it gets hungry and is ready to come out. The other thing I do is overflow the water dish so there's a moist area, though when it's past the sling stage I'll be keeping it dry.

Since most of my tarantulas are Brachypelma and Grammastola I keep the juvie adults dry as well. My Pterinopelma sazimai gets a corner where I dump some water. He does spend considerable time there.

My pulchra doesn't even have a burrow! And never uses it's hide either. But Betsy does like to climb. A LOT!

BrokenRay

3 Year Member
I just checked on my B klaasi after several months and it's fine. Didn't eat during this time at all. Not sure if it was drinking the water either.

When you say sealed off do you mean with webbing? Or like this?

View attachment 44067

If it's webbed up then that is a likely moult. My albopilosum disappeared for 2 months and molted twice underground. If it's like the pic I posted then that's more of a "hibernating" behavior.

If it's webbed then I would leave it be. It will come out when ready. If it's a dirt mound I would check on it in a bit or whenever you start to worry a lot. Just for piece of mind (sorry for the iron maiden pun!)

Also a dead tarantula will smell really bad so if there is no odours coming from the enclosure then it's probably fine :)

The same as your photo. It sealed it's burrow with substrate.

menavodi

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Spray your terrarium and keep water in her bowl. Don’t disturb the retreat. Just saying :)

Latest posts