• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

G. Pulchra Pre-molt or just living her best life?

Laurebai

Hello all, relatively new to the hobby, got my first T about 18 months ago, but first time sling owner.
I've got an adult striped-knee, and previously had a pink-toe who, unfortunately was lost to a molting accident, so I tend to get nervous around molts, especially any of my babies first one. But basically I got a 3/4-1" G. pulchra sling around April 15th, and she has so far been really easy going, great appetite, dug a little burrow almost immediately, and is always eager to eat her B. lateralis pinheads. About 8 days ago she suddenly closed off all the entrances to her burrow, and her abdomen seemed swollen and overall darker. I took this to mean she might be entering pre-molt. She is yet to refuse food, and I guess I'm wondering should I keep offering her food? There is a little opening where I can drop the pinheads down into her burrow, that I've been using since I first set up her enclosure, and she is still happily devouring them. But now that it is closed off from the sides, I don't have an easy way to remove them if she suddenly refuses, and would hate for a mean roach to harass her after she molts, if that is what she's about to do. I have some photos I can post, though they aren't great cause I'm trying not to disturb her too much if she's about to molt. You can all tell me I'm just obsessing and to let her live her life, and I know they can go a while without eating, but in the back of my mind I'm still concerned about starvation/dehydration.
Has anyone else seen this sudden closing off? Any feedback is appreciated!

(The first image is from the day (s)he arrived, and the others are from yesterday, you can see how high up the sides the dirt is piled up, which literally happened overnight after being exposed for 3ish weeks)
IMG_0984.jpg
IMG_0985.jpg
IMG_0987.jpg

Latest posts