• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

G Pulchra juvie

T'z_and_more_T'z

3 Year Member
For all my current and former G Pulchra collectors. My 3.5" buried itself under some cork bark, and hasn't been out in almost 2 weeks. I can see her through the plastic, she looks fine. Is this normal for juvies? Greatly appreciated. E

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Yes very normal. Chances are it is getting ready to molt or just wanted some privacy. Did you see any signs of premolt before ot went in?

Your T could be in there for awhile. Mine was in for six weeks. Others have reported longer wait times for Ts. Youprobably know this but keep fresh water available. It may be sneaking out at night. Some people put food out in case it is still hungry.

T'z_and_more_T'z

3 Year Member
Yes very normal. Chances are it is getting ready to molt or just wanted some privacy. Did you see any signs of premolt before ot went in?

Your T could be in there for awhile. Mine was in for six weeks. Others have reported longer wait times for Ts. Youprobably know this but keep fresh water available. It may be sneaking out at night. Some people put food out in case it is still hungry.
No sign of molt. Yea I switch out water every week. And throw in 1 or 2 crickets or roaches, which I just looked after a week. Roaches are still alive.

tonebar

I got a ~1.75" G. pulchra sling last September. It buried itself in November and it didn't reemerge until March. Afterwards it looked exactly the same as it did before; it hadn't lost any weight or abdominal size, and hadn't molted. It also ate normally until it finally molted a few weeks later. It's been out ever since, eating normally, and is starting to look pre-molt'ish again.

I have read many similar accounts from other keepers of this and other species. It is always advised to leave the spider alone and let it come out when its ready. While mine was buried I did keep its water dish full just to humidify the enclosure. I otherwise did my best not to disturb it and I did not offer any prey items.

T'z_and_more_T'z

3 Year Member
I got a ~1.75" G. pulchra sling last September. It buried itself in November and it didn't reemerge until March. Afterwards it looked exactly the same as it did before; it hadn't lost any weight or abdominal size, and hadn't molted. It also ate normally until it finally molted a few weeks later. It's been out ever since, eating normally, and is starting to look pre-molt'ish again.

I have read many similar accounts from other keepers of this and other species. It is always advised to leave the spider alone and let it come out when its ready. While mine was buried I did keep its water dish full just to humidify the enclosure. I otherwise did my best not to disturb it and I did not offer any prey items.
Gotcha

TillyMJ

Hi
do not leave live feeders with tarantulas that are about to moult.It can be dangerous for the tarantula.Take all uneaten feeders after 24 hours.

Regards Konstantin
Agreed, I lost a Purple Earth Tiger due to this. Horrible lesson. Wishing you the best with your eight-legged buddy!